ASUS N56VZ issue: Crashes when playing 3D games

Discussion in 'Asus' started by hodxer, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SOrry i missed the third model of ram. G.Skill, Kingston and ?

Also do you remember which kind of model were Kingston ? I mean timing, etc etc ?

thx a lot

2. hodxer

hodxer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Two model, three times.

1. Kingston: KVR1333D3S9/4G *2 (CL9, Hynix). You could find their pictures at #1
    2. G.Skill. I ask G.Skill swap the memories for me but it still crashes.

3. Kenny89

Kenny89 Newbie

Reputations:
    i solved my problem already. by taking back the ram to the comp shop n change for the new 1. my ram is 4GB X2. one of it is the original ram another is Kingston KVR1333D3S9/4G

4. DJGrammy

DJGrammy Newbie

Reputations:
    I think that your laptop is using the Intel HD graphics 4000 video card. In BIOS set your main video card to Nvidia GT650m.

5. hodxer

Reputations:
    I refresh the BIOS and set the shared memory to 64M. Now it seems stable.

6. Liedral

Liedral Newbie

Reputations:
    Um... I'm getting this problem too... Just bought the labtop. Could you tell me how to set bios main vid card to Nvidia?

7. hodxer

Reputations:
    Sorry, I almost forget this post.
    Everything is OK except ram.
    I swap RAM three times from G.Skill and finally get N56VZ stable.

8. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    .. so if asus didn't force the memory-timing and bus multipler, and simply relied on the spd-settings (like everyone else), this wouldn't have been a problem.

And expanding to high speed 16Gb ram (or a low volt version, to save some 2-3w on idle) would have been painless.

But nooo....

Make sure you drop Asus support a note, by the way. I.e., "I bought really expensive ram, for some reason it doesn't work in your laptop, and there's no reason why it shouldn't. Will consider carefully whether I will buy asus in the future. Blablablah".

9. indueng

indueng Newbie

Reputations:
    I just purchased the Asus n56vz-ds71 and I'm having the same problem.

With the recommendation of GenTech PC, I switched the ram to 2x8GB (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10) and I also installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD 3G.

I updated the bios to 211 and installed the latest drivers from Intel.com and nvidia.com (as of Sept 12, 2012).

I've had crashing issues in Need for Speed the Run and COD Modern Warfare 3 similar to what appears in the the youtube video.

I just noticed that NVidia published new drivers today so I will try them now and report any changes...

OK I updated my NVidia drivers from 306.02 beta to 306.23 whql and the problem seems to have gone away.

I have been playing NFS the run and COD MW3 for about an hour continuously without any issues... I'll post again if the problem comes back.

Well it took a little longer than usual, but after all my PC crashed while player F1 2011 about 15 minutes into the game...

I will try playing with the NVidia control panel settings and if that doesn't work, I'll try putting back in my stock memory.

OK I set NVidia CP to choose my GT 650m as default 3D card and it still crashed in F1 2011.

I then ran a "memtest" using a program from the internet (Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool) and it showed that my 16GB memory is all OK.

Now I will put the stock memory back in the laptop and see if that fixes it.... what a pain.

10. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ^ but many thanks for going through it and documenting what you've done, along with explaining what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.