Asus N56VZ-DS71 first impressions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by The_Finder, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Good list. But... :)

1. That was Asus not specifying that some of the models didn't actually have a backlit logo. *shrug* No, don't know either..
    2. This can also be dependent on the variation in the current in some places in the world - not exclusive to the n56..
    -
    6. It is supposed to be curved. :p
    8. Since it's a magnetically suspended fan, you should expect it to rattle a bit until it has run for a few hours.
    10. That could be because of overly eager anti-virus apps, and/or weird windows services. Unless the graphics card can't be enabled, it's unlikely something is physically broken (this happens extremely rarely, by the way)..
    -
    12. That's just windows. If you open a program that wants to access your files or the "your computer" functions, it will poll the active and inactive drives. Same problem with external usb-drives, secondary disks that spin up even though they're not used, etc.

--

But not that people shouldn't send the laptop back if there's something wrong.

2. Hodor

Hodor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    #9 ... The CPU of the N56VZ should run at 25°C in idle? That sounds pretty unrealistic. Mine runs between 36-40°C when running idle and having the High Performance setting on. But I doubt that it would go under the 30°C mark even in the battery saving mode while doing nothing.

3. Kourosh

Kourosh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you Nipsen. I have a few thoughts in response.

1. On the N56VZ-DS71, the logo should glow. It's so strange that Asus reacted to that defect by denying it.
    2. The left speaker on the unit that was sent to me was defective and buzzed, not due to current. Reseller in another part of the U.S. confirmed it was hardware. Others have reported the same or similar issue.
    -
    6. Someone on these forums posted a photo showing that the entire chasis is a curved or warped. You think it's intentional? Either way, a curve doesn't bother me, but it might bother some people.
    -
    8. I didn't know that about the fan suspension. The unit that was sent to me didn't rattle. Others have complained about it.
    -
    10. I think you're right. This is a software conflict that is most likely fixable without exchanging for a new unit.

4. Kourosh

Kourosh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The unit I received ran all four cores at ~20-25c at idle. That said, the CPU had Diamond thermal compound applied. I assumed that only made a 5-10c difference, at max, but perhaps I'm uninformed about what a big difference that stuff makes.

Perhaps I got a unit that was especially excellent at cooling. It's too bad the blown speaker buzz was so intolerable during movies and songs that I had to exchange it. I'm crossing my fingers the next unit cools well too!

5. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good idea. I tried something like this when I ordered mine from MLN in Australia. Since they were upgrading the RAM anyway, I figured it would be no hassle, and potentially save everyone some time & expense in sending it back.

This is the reply I got:

My initial reaction was "Screw you" ... but they are currently the only legitimate channel to buy N56VZ in Australia so I kinda had to be diplomatic and hope if anything was glaringly obvious they wouldn't send it.

Fortunately my machine came with no build defects. Had some issues with the RAM (they supplied wrong speed) which they did rectify - but only after I sent the RAM back to them at my cost.

Through many emails exchanged before and after the sale, MLN were never outright hostile, but they certainly weren't friendly or helpful either.

6. Hodor

Hodor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone else have such temperatures? Maybe you really got luck that you picked the right N56, but I doubt that they've used Diamond thermal compound for the CPU.

What temperature you get while gaming or under heavy load? That might be also interessting.

7. Taichou

Taichou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It would a dream to have such low temperatures. I have 55-60C while surfing (battery save mode). So I think, my temperatures are too high only while surfing?

When I play Skyrim (FHD, medium settings, 4xAA, AF off) I get up to 76C for CPU and 74C for GPU. This again seems to be ok.

A question: The air intake and exhaust are on the left upper side, correct? Would a cooling pad help to lower the temperatures?

8. Taichou

Taichou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One more thing..

I updated the BIOS to 211 yesterday and I think the fans run at higher speeds and so it is noisier. How are your experience with the 211 BIOS?

9. shortyla

shortyla Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Kourosh

Kourosh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I paid for diamond thermal compound. (The unit I received was customized by a re-seller.)

Also, when I said idle, I did mean totally idle. The computer was sitting there doing nothing, after fully booting. (And with a clean install of Windows.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.