Asus N56VZ-DS71 first impressions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by The_Finder, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oninismo

oninismo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my n56vz today. It's a good looking computer and it's thin. The touchpad is God awful and really annoying to use. It's also not centered so there's a little space between the left side of the touchpad and chassis. There's a little flex in the keyboard but not a deal breaker by any means. All in all its a decent value for the money

2. Supranium

Supranium Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got my N56VZ today.
    Specs:
    15.6" Full HD
    3610QM
    650M 2GBDDR3
    750GB HDD.

First Impressions.
    + Screen quality is amazing for my eye. Black is black and white is white.
    I found the best quality of colors when brightness was 2 notches below maximum. At maxed out, the black turnes a bit grey.
    My desktop PC has HP ZR24W IPS panels which i used for comparing N56VZ screen. Putting them side by side. i couldnt tell much difference on color quality. I couldnt notice any color bleed or screen door effect. Screen just looks great when its 2 notches below max brightness. I didnt do any color calibration.
    + powerful but thin and light.
    + Sound is better than i expected. Really good for notebook.
    + cooling fan stays suprisingly quiet under heavy load on benchmark tests.

- Power adaptor is bit too large and it makes whiny noise when notebook goes in to sleep mode. But its quiet under full load. (perhaps i had just bad luck with it)
    - Too much crappy software preistalled. Takes a long time to unistall them all.

+- Battery life isnt great, but good enough for notebook that size and power.

Heres couple of benchmark tests.
    Default GPU (835)950/900 P2387 GPU 2176.
    [​IMG]
    Maximum GPU/DDR (970)1085/1060 P2733 GPU 2507. +15% on GPU score is a decent OC result for notebook.
    GPU maxed out by AB, DDR3 is not clocking any further. 1085/1070mhz gave me crash. However 1085/1060mhz was completely stable while playing D3.
    D3 ran completely smooth (30-60fps) on fullHD and medium-high settings. No AA.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this post helps someone on their decision making. ;)

I felt that touchpad needs some getting used to. But its good touchpad to be honest. However, it can be annoying to type, when your palms touch the pad while typing.

3. Supranium

Reputations:
    I made a quick test with Prime95 together with FurMark.
    CPU occasionaly still jumps to 3100mhz, but mostly stays lower.
    Looks like notebook prevents both (GPU and CPU) going to full load at the same time.
    It shouldnt affect gaming, but it surely affects if you are doing heavy workloads with CPU/GPU together at same time.

4. ScubaSam

ScubaSam Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I ordered the ASUS N56VZ-S4044 recently. I preferred a version with a 500 or 750 Gb7200 rpm storage instead of in this case the 1T 5400 rpm. I'm kinda of noob with pcs so can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between these two?
    I read in this topic about putting a ssd in instead. Think ill try that if its not to complicated and really makes such a big difference.

5. ScubaSam

ScubaSam Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I ordered the ASUS N56VZ-S4044 recently. I preferred a version with a 500 or 750 Gb7200 rpm storage instead of in this case the 1T 5400 rpm. I'm kinda of noob with pcs so can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between these two?

I read in this topic about putting a ssd in instead. Think ill try that if its not to complicated and really makes such a big difference.

6. The K

The K Newbie

Reputations:
    Another fresh owner here with another set of questions.
    First up, a quick summary:

PROS
    Great screen
    Great sound
    VERY silent
    Very good keyboard

CONS
    Awful touchpad
    Occasional farting sound from subwoofer

Now for my questions:

1) Is the touchpad supposed to make a sound? I know that when I press down with force, it makes a click. However, mine makes a faint clacking sound even when I apply minimal strength. Is this normal or should I exchange the laptop right away in the hopes of getting a silent one?

2) Heat. I need some insight into how cool the unit should stay under load. Its cool when surfing, but I don't know how to judge the heat when Im playing some game. I've seen people saying theirs stays cool when playing Skyrim on high. I played Skyrim on high and it got moderately hot just by playing the intro sequence. The fan stayed silent and I can't imagine exactly how hot it needs to get for the fan to kick in full time. How cool is cool? What should I expect? If you cant give proper numbers, then estimate a difference between idle and load.

3) Wireless. Is anyone else having problems with WLAN? My usual DL speed is 5MB/s, but for some reason, youtube videos wouldnt load when using wifi. Its not a modem thing, I got the 5MB on my phone in the very same room. What should I be looking at?

7. oninismo

Reputations:
    My touchpad makes a clicking sound also when you press down the center. It is also really annoying because it's very difficult to use the touch pad with one hand moving the cursor while one hand sits on the left click. Super annoying but not a deal breaker.

8. oninismo

Reputations:
    Oh and I swapped the 5400 rpm drive with a 512 M4. Lowest WEI is the graphics at 6.7 with the nVidia 296 driver. That's the one on Asus website.

9. Supranium

Reputations:
    I downloaded latest nvidia beta drivers, but cant install. It says, that suitable GPU wasnt found, even if i force it to 650M.

10. osmoen

osmoen Newbie

Reputations:
    Do a double-tap on the touch pad, keep your finger on the pad after the second tap, and drag, all with one finger. The touch pad only needs an actual click when using right-clicks as far as I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.