Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:

So far I've tested Corsair CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 and G.Skill F3-1600C11D-16GSQ and they both working fine.

SSD is the way to go. :)

2. HebronCL

HebronCL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have AB71 version. What RAM speeds does this version support? 1666mhz? 1333mhz ??

I need to know this in order to buy my next upgrade.

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100

3. AnimalMother

AnimalMother Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GenTech is a awesome name for a pc comapny lol
    Thanks for the reply I have to check that out later, thanks again

4. manfred0

manfred0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Reporting in with my upgrade success.
    N56VZ 650m i7 3610qm 8gb laptop bought in the states in early august 2012 (upgraded bios 211).

1st attempt:
    Patriot PSD316G1600SK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) CAS 11
    At first things seemed to go without a hitch. However, while doing 3d gaming the laptop would crash out with that popular screen corruption freeze that's been seen in other threads.
    Repeated the gaming sessions several times and every-time it would crash out within 1-10 minutes with the same exact screen corruption freeze.

2nd attempt (after finding this thread):
    As per GenTechs suggestion I popped in a couple corsair 8gb sticks. (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10). I was a little bit skeptical as someone else had freezing problems even after using this ram. However I gave it a go and so far have had 0 issues.
    Stress tested it buy running 2 VMware machines each running a single 3d game. And outside of them I ran 2 copies of another game and ran an instance of "MSI Kombustor" running the benchmark in demo mode. CPU temp peaked quickly and stayed at around 90-98c the nvidia gpu hovered around 70c. After a steady 90 mins of playing around in the running games the laptop experienced no issues and it didn't get that screen corrupt crash that I had been expecting.

This was the most severe stress test but I've tried a few others (multiple instances of games running for periods of 10-30 mins) and I'm satisfied that the corsair CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 fixed my 16gb ram issues.

5. uisanata

uisanata Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to buy this laptop and upgrade the memory to 16gb also.
    The laptop is coming from the shop with a 4 gb upgrade, that is 12 gb in total (8+4). They are not willing to replace all the memory with 2x8 corsair sticks, so my question is: is the original memory compatible with a new 8gb corsair stick? what manufacturer is the original memory?
    thank you.

6. VladimirMCity

VladimirMCity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I recently picked one of these machines on Amazon.com and then I found your thread about upgrading its RAM to 16 GB

I decided to give it a try with Kingston HyperX (KHX16S9P1K2/16, 2 x 8 GB, 9-9-9 timings) and I am very happy to tell you it worked without a problem

So do not worry, you can upgrade your laptop's RAM to 16 GB. I added a few photos here as a proof

Regards,
    Vladimir

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

7. VladimirMCity

VladimirMCity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, it must be Hynix (Korean brand). There were 4 GB of this RAM pre-installed in my laptop. Yes, you can add 8 GB more and get 12 GB in total. However, I would not recommend you to do it with 2 RAM sticks different in memory size, because this way the RAM will not use dual channel mode. So go either with 2 x 4 GB or 2 x 8 GB

8. soshial

soshial Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey! I'm thinking of buying version of N56VZ with 6 Gb RAM preinstalled (because it is a bit cheaper).
    Would all your techniques of placing 2x8 Gb memory stick still work with my chosen hardware options?
    Thank you.

9. VladimirMCity

VladimirMCity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, the cheapest option is with 4 GB or RAM. Regarding the RAM upgrade, there will be no issues as long as you choose the Intel Core i7 or i5 version. There is another version with AMD CPU which RAM upgrade I am not really certain about

10. pebezo

pebezo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have N56VZ-RH71 from Microcenter (bought at the beginning of November), BIOS 211, Samsung 830 SSD, and the recommended (by GenTech) 16GB RAM from Corsair CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10. When I put both sticks in the computer it won't boot. The light for the power source turns on, and I can tell it's on, but the screen doesn't turn on; it seems to be stuck... I tried all possible combinations with a single 8GB stick in both slots and it works fine, so the RAM seems to be working, but when both are in it won't boot. I tried to put a 4GB stick (the one that it came with) and a 8GB and that wouldn't work either. I also tried to reset the "defaults" in the BIOS; no change...

Any thoughts? I don't see any RAM settings in the BIOS. Is there an advanced BIOS mode that would allow me to tweak the RAM settings?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.