Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    All you need to do is just remove one screw from the bottom compartment and you will see the two RAM slots:

Attached Files:

• Ram1.JPG
      Ram1.JPG
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
    • Ram2.JPG
      Ram2.JPG
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Kostass

Kostass Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply Gentechpc :) If I have any further question I will post again.

3. nikolaj1

nikolaj1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I recently purchased an N56VZ and based on what I have read in this forum am now desperately trying to get 2x8Gb of CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 ram to boot. One of either ram stick works fine in either slot but when I put both sticks in the same time the screen simply remains blank after power on. I initially tried with the bios the machine came with and when that didn't work I updated to 211 with no change. I should mention that the model is german and that I have replaced the original hard drive with another. I have also replaced the dvdrom with a caddy sdd although I don't see why that would make a difference. Everything else seems fine. Is there something I am forgetting?

4. masterpro

masterpro Newbie

Reputations:

It is not supported by the board.

Only the new N56 that are being launched this month support the 16GB configuration.

5. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ..they all have the same motherboard, and they all support 16Gb. It's just that Asus has locked the ram-timing in the bios. So you need to buy ram with the same timing (or better timing) than the ones that came with the laptop. To get the same braindead timing on the new ram, that may or may not cause faults and/or cause errors. Or optionally be way too low for the new ram, so that you're not really getting the most of the new and expensive chips you just bought.

The guy from GentechPC was kind enough to test a few types for us further back in the thread. Just refer to that, and the timing on those ram-chips, if you really need 16Gb.

Does ^the post over there mean there's another bios version coming out, by the way? ...

6. neothe0ne

neothe0ne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. seenoland

seenoland Newbie

Reputations:
    I just recieved my N56vz from Gentech and slid the 500 gig drive into the second bay and installed a Samsung 830 as the main drive (I'm editing video with Adobe CS6). I did have to update the bios to 211 to get the drives to work but it's fine now. I added the two Corsair 8gig ram for a total of 16gig and the bios reads the RAm but each time it comes out of hibernation, or boots up fresh, it goes into bios screen. I have been just hitting F10 and moving right along but is there a setting I need to work to get it to quit that and go into Windows like it is supposed to?

8. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was replied to Kostass asking about N76VZ.

9. HotelPapa

HotelPapa Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it possible to get a list with exactly which ram that works, even under stress/load?

Or will any 1600MHz do the job?

10. AnimalMother

AnimalMother Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know 8GB might be plenty for me now but later I don't know.
    What 8Gb sticks do you guys personaly use to get 16gb out of your nv56vz? For the money I think I may get an SSD instead he most ram I could use is for BF3 and think 8GB is plenty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.