Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just installed 2x8GB CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10. First time in my life i made a RAM upgrade. It seems all went ok, i'm writing this with my Asus N56.

By the way, my model is Asus N56VZ-S4035V, in other word (in case european classification is different from rest of world) the model without blueray, with full HD Display. with 650m and win home premium.
    I have to say that i'm not in the standard configuration right now, so to be clear i have also the original HDD in the CDROM place, and a Samsung P830 where there was the HDD.

There's a way to stress test memory now ? The only activity i made is copying simultaneosly on 2 different partition a 5 GB file. Thanks

2. KLNP93

KLNP93 Newbie

Reputations:
    My advice would be to use Memtest86+ (web site: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool).
    It's a good test/stress utility for RAM.

But it'a a DOS program that needs to be booted by a CD or a floppy or an USB pendrive.
    Since now you have no more optical drive (replaced by HDD), you should temporary put back DVD drive in place or booting the program from an external USB CD/DVD drive or USB pendrive (or even an external USB floppy, if you have a working one! :) ).

I never tested it from an USB pendrive but it should work (there is an auto-installer for USB from Memtest86+ site):
    How to test your RAM in Windows | How To - CNET

Some other similar tools are listed here:
    5 Free Memory Test (RAM Test) Software Programs
    Windows Memory Diagnostic

3. alexu

alexu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi , can you please provide more info regarding the replacement of the optical drive with a HDD ? What parts you need for this job ? Did you use something like this : Replace a laptop's CD/DVD optical drive with a Hard Drive - YouTube ? From where did you get the casing for the hdd ? Price ? The optical drive is holded in place by one screw or is it more complicated ?

I'm planning to get this laptop and also want to do the RAM upgrade and add the extra SSD.

4. carlos.flgb

carlos.flgb Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried with 2 slots of this memory: KTA-MB1600/8G , and it works perfectly. They are designed for Mac, but i had no problems with them.

5. indueng

indueng Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased an Asus n56vz-ds71 last week and immediately updgraded the HDD to an M4 Crucial 256GB SATA3 and Corsair (2x8GB) (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10) by the recommendation of GenTechPC on the notebook review forum.

I'm using the bios version 211 and NVidia drivers version 306.23 released last week. I ran memtest (Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool) and the 16GB indeed showed ok on first pass.(took over an hour)

Unfortunately my PC would crash repeatedly within an hour of playing F1 2011, COD MW3 or NFS:The Run. So I removed the memory and re-installed the original laptop memory.

I ran these games for about 3 hours and no crashing... So my conclusion at this point is that the PC is not stable with this ram upgrade. Have you experienced the same with your customers opting for the 16GB upgrade from your website? Is there a better memory option available for this laptop. How can I prove for sure that the memory was causing the problem...

See my posting on this matter: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/673371-asus-n56vz-issue-crashes-when-playing-3d-games-3.html (indueng).

6. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had freezing probs with 16Gb of DDR3-1333 Ram. Got it swapped for DDR3-1600 crucial vengeance and it's been fine ever since. Have you tried with just one module at a time to see if it's related to one of the sticks?

7. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Could be the RAM issue, like bjammin suggest try remove one stick of RAM at a time to test.

Even the Crucial is working fine but there are still possibility some defect RAMs.

8. Kostass

Kostass Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I have bought the asus n76vz and overall I am very satisfied from my purchase although I haven't tested all its capabilities (i.e. via gaming) yet. The reason is that I am waiting for the arrival of a cooling pad which I have ordered from ebay, since I have read about heating issues when you stress up the system. I knew that laptops which included thermal resistance cases-more fans inside (alienware, quosmio) come with the price of weight and bulky appearance so I dont regret for my choice.

GenTechPc I read your posts and I am planning to buy the corsair memory cards (2x8gb) you recommented as efficient. I want to ask you how I can istall them to the back of my laptop cause I dont have the computing skills I guess or the knowledge needed. Can you please tell me the procedure I have to follow in order to istall them? Are there any videos on youtube concerning the specific model and ram installment? I googled before I post thats why

9. Andre77ab

Andre77ab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the new update bios 211 has something to do with better support for 16 GB?

10. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    No. No difference since launch.

Here's the problem. The bios is locked to "drive strength" settings that make little sense. They are too low, or too high, depending on your setup. Most likely they are the default safe settings for a common ram setup a while ago, like PC1333 or lower. The settings are as follows:

-tCL: 4
    ("Column Address Strobe", the time the memory controller will wait before clearing a sent request, after receiving and executing it. It's set as low as you can go here. This doesn't actually work well on a dram controller with variable bus-speed. Because the delay needs to be higher on higher clock-frequencies. This basically means that on your incredibly expensive dual-channel ram setup, it's extremely unlikely that the ram will work optimally with this setting. It's just too fast. Whether it's measured in clock-cycles or something else, it's too fast.)
    -tRCD: 3
    ("Row to Column Delay", this relates to the variable above in the sense that this is the time it takes before a cleared request is marked active. In an asynchronous setup (read: dual channel), there can be several requests on the memory controller at the same time that can be activated independently. Obviously, at higher clock frequencies and larger addressing spaces/more GBs, it's possible to create conflicts with a too low setting. Which is what this is.)
    -tRP: 3
    ("Ras Precharge" - is how long it can be between each individual command issued to the controller.)
    -rRAS: 9
    ("RAS Active time", how long it has to take before an active command becomes a precharge command. Note that if you tweak this blindly - like Asus does - you're essentially making sure that the precharge is useless - that it will never actually cause a cache-hit and save a command execution).
    -tWr: 5
    ("Time to Write", the time that has to elapse after a completed write operation. I.e., after the precharge causes a write, this is the amount of time that has to pass before another precharge set is placed).
    -tRFC: 15
    -tRRD: 4
    -tWTR: 3
    -tRTP: 4
    -tRC: 15
    ("Row Cycle Time", the minimum amount of time a complete operation has to take. This should be set as low as possible, to both clear issued commands quickly, but also to ready new precharges that may generate hits).
    -tFAW: 10
    ("Four Activate Window" - the time window where four commands can be issued. The command rate is set at 1t or one clock cycle. But when will these multiple reads successfully happen in this setup, with these settings, on asynchronous ram at 1600Mhz? Very rarely).

By the way - the settings set in this bios for the ram is, apart from the memory speed, locked to identical settings as the Zenbook (with 1333Mhz ram), as well as the same settings of all other Asus laptops I've looked at.

Funny, isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.