Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhollmusik

dhollmusik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip.

And do you think the N76VZ is also affected by these issues? If so then at least we have a RAM brand which should work. I found this Ebay link of the model you recommmend for European users.

2. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    No models are affected by 16GB (1333/1600MHz) issues as far as I know.

People think it will not work with 16GB probably because it's listed on Asus's website saying Max RAM supported is 8GB. And G75VW (has 4 RAM slots) with 16GB Max but the true is it can support up to 32GB.

If you look at Intel's i7-3610QM specs it can support up to 32GB with 4 stick of 8GB:

Intel® Core

The maximum capacity per each slot is 8GB stick.

Core i7 can support up to 4 RAM slots and i3/i5 support up to 2 slots.

N76VZ works just fine with 16GB 1600MHz without problems. Just don't use 1866Mhz RAM because it will not work.

The link you provide is the same RAM I've tested on N56VZ, it will work.

3. dhollmusik

Reputations:
    Thanks for clearing that up, GenTech.

It's a shame Asus themselves add to the confusion by inferring one of the N56's RAM slots is soldered by a 4GB, meaning it's non-removable. They also said some CPU's don't recognise 8GB sticks (but they could have helpfully pointed out the 3610qm does support them, as you did).

See the comment from 11 May 9:14

An earlier comment from them seems to suggest they have no idea what kind of WLAN adaptor is built into their own laptops...seems like this is a supreme example of some poor outsourced customer service agent getting his information from Google while his customers get the true information via trial/error and forum communities.

4. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    If N56VZ has 4GB soldered on the mainboard then the maximum RAM supported should be 12GB (4GB Soldered + 8GB Open slot) not 8GB.

Maybe we should show them my pictures with 2 removable slots and ask them there are 2 slots + 4GB soldered so the maximum supported RAM should be 20GB (8GB X2 removable slot + 4GB hidden soldered RAM). :D :D :D

No wonder I got so many emails asking if N56VZ does support 16GB of RAM and also on YouTube:

"Really nice on the review. My model is this exact same one, It's really a fine machine so far; especially considering the price/vs the processor. I checked the specs for this laptop and found Asus, and Kingston showing it as 8GB max (which is what is comes with). Are you certain that it can handle 16gb? (2 8gb sticks are currently about $100, I'd go for it, if it would handle it - Please post"

BravoSoundIntl 5 days ago

Product Showcase: Asus N56VZ Unboxing & Review - YouTube

5. JXulo

JXulo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry Gentech pc but i'm not able to follow you(i think). Just to be clear, are you saying that any ram 1333/1600 will work on asus N56VZ? Or only a very specific ones? I know a friend that tried to put 16GB but he is only able to put 12GB. He tried all combinations and the two 8 GB modules work with an 4Gb module and alone but never the two modules of 8Gb together. Any ideia why? And if only work with a very specific modules, can you give some examples of ram modules that work for sure on asus N56VZ to achieve 16Gb ram?

6. dhollmusik

Reputations:

GenTech already said which model definitely works, and I linked it on Ebay too just about 3 posts ago.

Also check out nipsen's posts for some more technical detail into this issue.

7. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    So far all the brands I've tested worked. there was never any issues with 8GB X2 on N56VZ or N76VZ.

Can you ask your friend what brand of RAM he use? If you can let us know which brand and model I can go buy it and test it.

8. JXulo

JXulo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes i know, i read it all. But it´s only one model, and i want to know if there are another models or just need to be equal to the model you show before(and what caractheristics needs to be equal). And i'm asking this because i obviously don't understand anything about ram modules and mixed with the fact that english is not my native language lead me to not understand very well all the facts ;)

9. cutterline

cutterline Newbie

Reputations:
    @GenTechPC
    Well, Can I ask you for the detailed information?
    1. BIOS version (202,204)?
    2. Can you list all the brand you've used? (Especially those with lower clock latency (CL) beside those you had mentioned, CL11 (G.skill) and CL10 (corsair), if you can find those with lower CL though)
    3. Did you test it only on 1 asus n56/76 only or several machines (to confirm there is no golden batch whatsoever, or you got all the golden batch ;) )
    Thanks

10. GenTechPC

Reputations:

1: Tested with both 202 and 204.

2: As far as I can remembered I tested with G.skill CL11 and Corsair CL10 no problem, just make sure don't mixed Cl10 8GB with the stock 4GB CL11. You will have a lot of problems.

3: I tested with different units and different batchs and the unites I've tested are randomly picked.

When you say it don't work with 16GB is that you don't get any display or it was BSOD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.