Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry i fail to follow you Nipsen because i'm not very much skilled in RAM hardware :D.
    Are you saying that ASUS, by BIOS fixed setups, force us to buy certain type (maybe expensive one) of RAM in order to have a 16GB machine that works correctly ?

Or that, looking at gentech screenshot, ASUS force us to tweak some "hardcore" parameters in RAM in order to run a 16GB machine but the tweak needed underpower ram or make them unstable from a different point of view ?

2. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Almost. You have to buy hyper-ram with extremely high margins to get the computer to boot with 16Gb. But that ram will still have to run at much lower frequencies than what it supports (the forced timing). Or timing that it wasn't really made to run at. You still need that high-speed hyper-ram, however, because /some/ of the forced timings are a bit steep.

I.e., new chips are a terrible waste of money, even if they work. Because they'll run at lower speeds than they could, and might actually be unstable.

Or, your perfectly well made 1.35v chips (that can be just as expensive), with timing and volt that fits a laptop more than a desktop (shorter delays, safe frequencies, less heat, quicker response) -- will just fail to boot altogether.

I.e., definitely a complete waste of money.

3. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Tried 1866MHz RAM and it either freeze or BSOD, not only N56VZ but all models with 3rd Gen CPU:

Attached Files:

4. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Not the case. i5 and i7 notebooks on current (as in last 24 months) mainboards are specifically supposed to support it. ..the question is why we can observe something happening consistently, no..?

Could have said something similar about sata3 support. If you look at any laptop - not just form asus - that was shipped lately with sata3 support on the mainboard, but that don't have support for sata3 anyway for some mysterious reason. Then you could easily conclude that the common factor is.... they all have d-sub ports, or whatever. They're all sandy bridge and ivy bridge, maybe, since that's when the first ssd-disks turned up for laptop bundles. Casuality, and boom, conclusion - end of explanation, congratulations with the logical fallacy of the day, etc.

But the real reason, specifically for asus-laptops, was that the default "autodetect" setting in the bios was forced to "gen2". There were actually a lot of laptop mainboards that turned up with sata 3 and pci-e 2x support at the same time, because that's how this works -- unless there's something specific that prevents the mobile version from having the same features as the desktop version, it's cheaper to produce it with the same chips.

And now ssd's are cheap, and asus almost advertise their computers with easy hdd/ram upgrades, so... time to change tack? Probably not - my guess is that they just enabled default/gen3 settings to get the "instant on" thing to work with the hybrid disks. Otherwise, I've no doubt that we would have been stuck with an expensive system, that had been locked to settings appropriate for a core2duo system from 8 years ago.

I mean, there are many, many, many gaming laptops - or just normal laptops with hacked bioses - that can run any amount of crucial ram at 1866Mhz/10-10-10-27, for example. They're not throttled, they're just set up properly from the beginning.

Not meaning to be particularly offensive here, and I guess it's not important in the scheme of things, and so on. But we have retailers, asus reps and laptop reviewers posting around here. So.. front bus speeds, dual channel ram-timing ranges and sata signaling speeds - it's not classified information. Shouldn't you know how this stuff works..?

5. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gentech, from screenshot i read that they are vengeance corsair. Which flower/model of them are ?

6. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    The 1866MHz with BSOD? it was Kingston HyperX.

For the Corsair 8G X2 it's CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10.

We have no problems with 16GB (8GBx2) 1600Mhz but any 1866Mhz RAM with any brand doesn't work.

7. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    .. I think what we're looking at to get this to work is:
    1. Have turbo-boost specifically set to fit with a front-bus speed supported on the motherboard.
    2. XPM/dynamic frequency allocation set.

Might be that what we're getting is a fsb-frequency that's too high with the fsb:dram timing relationship they've set, with a too low volt setting, or too tight timing.

But it could just be that the Hyperx is timed at about.. twice as high tRCmin and tRRDmin as what's forced in the bios. Because that's going to cause write-errors, no matter what frequency it's run at.

8. wnsirlord

wnsirlord Newbie

Reputations:
    I thoroughly appreciate your posts GenTechPC! I am planning on getting an Asus N56VZ, but the major drawback for me was the supposed difficulty in installing 16GB of ram.

So just to clear up, your saying the Corsair CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 will work with the Asus N56VZ without any BIOS editing? You just pop in the two sticks and your all good to go?

Thank you so much!

9. dhollmusik

dhollmusik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm also interested in how this is cleared up.

Does anyone know if the N76VZ is similarly affected? It's the big brother I'm interested in but def need the possibility of 16GB RAM.

10. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Correct, if you use CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 it will work, just install the RAM and you are good to go without mod BIOS.

Or the G.Skill F3-1600C11D-16GSQ works fine too:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.