Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brady_f

brady_f Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So there is a rumor of a user running 12GB, however not a single person running 16GB? Anyone know a XoticPC rep that can possibly shed some light on what memory they are using for the 16GB upgrades in this system?

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You shall try Samsung 8GB 1600MHz 204 pin memory.

It shall work.

3. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi prostar, did you tried it ?

thanks a lot

4. cl-jeffrey

cl-jeffrey Company Representative

Reputations:
    We say the max is 8GB because we have tested it. However this laptop is able to do more however we are not responsible if anything happens. The reason why they are able to boot with 16GB is because they have a different bios setup. Have you tried speaking with a tech support from xotic pc to see if you can download their bios and other programs that they have installed. Just be aware that you are doing this at your own consent that if your laptop no longer works that is not our fault.

5. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    My guess is that it works, and that it works thanks to that memory being designed for very tight timing. So when it's overvolted with the overridden bios-settings, it runs reasonably well at 1cr, at more lenient timing than it's designed for. Essentially an overclock that happens to work because the focus of that chip is stability even at extremely low voltage.

..basically, I think a lot of the ram-configs will fail because they are made for 2cr and lower delays.

edit: @cj-jeffrey - with all due respect, but like I explained to you in pm, the current timing the bios locks the ram to isn't exactly the most safe.. But I'd be interested in seeing the xotic bios as well, if it's different from the default.

6. Francesco V.

Reputations:
    Sorry i'm not really into bios and ram hardware but this means that we have to flash a customized bios in order to use 16gb ?

7. Francesco V.

Reputations:
    Ok i found this on Samsung sites. I guess that the only one that fits should be K0 ones, with CL 11-11-11. Is CL 11 below average performance for a ram modules ?

F7 400MHz/800Mbps@CL6 6-6-6
    F8 533MHz/1066Mbps@CL7 7-7-7
    H9 667MHz/1333Mbps@CL9 9-9-9
    K0 800MHz/1600Mbps@CL11 11-11-11
    MA 933MHz/1866Mbps@CL13 13-13-13

<colgroup><col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4352;width:89pt' width='119'> <col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5632;width:116pt' width='154'> <col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3072;width:63pt' width='84'> <col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4352;width:89pt' width='119'> <col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3840;width:79pt' width='105'> <col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4096;width:84pt' width='112'> <col style='mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6656;width:137pt' width='182'> </colgroup>
    Part Number Production Status Density Organization Voltage(V) Speed Component Composition
    M471B1G73BH0 Mass Production 8GB 1Gx64 1.5,1.35 F8,H9,K0,MA (512Mx8)x16
    M471B1G73AH0 Mass Production 8GB 1Gx64 1.5,1.35 F8,H9 (512Mx8)x16
    M471B1G73CB0 Customer Sample 8GB 1Gx64 1.5,1.35 H9,K0,MA (512Mx8)x16

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  8. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Get custom bios, or get a pair of ram-chips that happily accept 11-11-11-28/1cr timing at 1.5v, yes. :/

Note that the spd-module on the ram my n56 ships with actually wants to use 11-11-11-30 at 800Mhz frequency. Higher timing than what the bios forces. I don't know if it's offset by something else.

..by the way, when we're on the subject - anyone wondering about throttling on the cpu -- it's set to trip full fan at 75 degrees. Which the processor will reach instantly, because all cores will run at the highest state until 105 degrees. There is a common setting in the bios that starts to enable a load-balancing routine, and that has been disabled. In other words, if you can somehow manage to fit process-time on to all the cores (which is unlikely, but still), it's possible to run all cores at full boost until it reaches 105 degrees. Where, most likely, cooling pads and goop have been damaged, and double-sided tape holding down plastic surfaces will start to move on their own, since the glue goes off.

Er.. since we're putting out warnings and all that..

--

..by the way, cl11 is what the ram is running at at the highest frequency (or, the highest advertised frequency) :) The best ram can typically run with 1cr (command rate) at relatively tight delays, even at max frequency. And can be rated cl11, like the hyperx chips, at 1866Mhz. In return, the row delays are increased to make it stable.

But most ram ends up upping the voltage, or increasing the command rate delay to 2, for example, to reach the highest frequencies. At lower frequency, the delay timing tends to be set much lower. Somewhat different than when we overclocked sdram by reducing the delays and increasing the front-bus speed, I guess.. But to reach the high frequencies that the i7 processors can support, etc, the delays and command strength are increased.

..unless you override the manufacturer's recommended spd-settings, obviously..

One more thing - overclocking ram.. that is, unless you're changing the voltage past 1.35v-1.5v is 100% safe. You either get boot, or else you don't. It's physically impossible to actually destroy a ram-chip by changing the timing. The only thing that can happen is that if you're extremely lucky, you might get ram-errors, without causing instant lock-ups.

9. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    N56VZ does support 16GB of RAM:

Attached Files:

10. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ..as long as the chips boot at the forced 790Mhz, 11-11-11-28, 1cr, 1.5v settings.

edit: Just a question - wouldn't you be amazingly more likely to be able to sell more 1866Mhz, top of the line chips.. or more mobile-friendly 1.35v rated chips (or just configs with 1.35v ram... if asus didn't force a light overclock on all memory put into the laptop?

I just don't understand in whose interest it is to force settings that are: neither optimal, nor extremely safe, or the most compatible. I just don't get it.

Just so we're on the same page here - the default config from AMI is to let the spd-timings govern the ram-timing. The reason we have jedec standards and spds is because having those ram-timings in the actual chips is: 1. safer, 2. give better yields, and 3. makes consumers happier, since there's no setup in the bios.

But Asus changed that to a forced setting, something that hasn't really been much point for anyone other than volt-modders or extreme overclockers for at least ten years. And that override is what prevents most normal chips from booting (like I said, my chips are actually overclocked slightly - this is not "safe" in any sense of the word, but it's probably going to work without hangs for the most part -- if you're unlucky, however, you are going to have nothing but trouble from overriding the spd-timing of oem-chips with small margins to go on. And statistically speaking, that will happen).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.