Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taynk

Taynk Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, so I bought Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10). My computer wouldn't boot with both sticks in, so I tried updating the bios. The update failed so Asus repaired my laptop and updated bios to 215. Now computer boots with all 16gb in.
    However, system is NOT stable with both sticks in. It freezes up during games or stress tests. After sending it in to Asus for a second time, they said that it's not compatible with 16gb of ram... pretty retarded!

Also, I'm running the N56vz-es71. Just thought I'd let you know.

2. adavis89

adavis89 Newbie

Reputations:
    My N56VZ-DH71 comes in today and unfortunately i already bought the Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10. So I'll attempt to install them, but if I run into issues like lots of people have with this ram I will just return it and go for Crucial 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CT2KIT102464BF160B. According to crucial's website this ram is compatible. I will update with my results.

3. kranger

kranger Newbie

Reputations:

Please do, i have the exact same model and am waiting for confirmation to upgrade. Thanks

4. adavis89

adavis89 Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded yesterday and have been running the computer with 16GB with no issues at all. I am using the corsair vengeance ram. They worked fine on bios 2.11 and its still working fine after flashing bios with 2.16 :)

5. kranger

kranger Newbie

Reputations:
    awesome. im going to wait a week in case you run into problems under heavy load or something, but thanks a lot!

6. adavis89

adavis89 Newbie

Reputations:
    3DMark Benchmark.jpg

This is my results from running 3DMark. Only averaged around 5 FPS on the final test, but other than that it ran very smooth. :)

Andrew

7. kranger

kranger Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks again. this must fly with the SSD :)

8. Taynk

Taynk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

So I contacted Asus about this problem, they say I need to call an Asus support center and ask to purchase "Hynix" RAM. This is really retarded 'cause I already bought the other stuff and it's too late to return it now. I showed them THIS link on THEIR website ASUS - N56VZ. That says it's expandable to 16GB. They said they write notice in the user manual.... HOW am I supposed to read the user manual if I order the RAM and the laptop at the SAME time! That would be like me selling Twinkies with "0 Calories" printed on the front of the box, and having a person come in and complain that they got fat because of my Twinkies, and then me pointing out "On the back of the box it says that each Twinkie is ACTUALLY 400 Calories". Do you think that kind of marketing would fly? No, not at all, so why should it with Asus? I encourage you, if you've had any problems with this 16GB of RAM upgrade, go complain to Asus. Losing one customer is one thing but when they see the potential of losing a lot, they SHOULD change something.

Actually... I'm going to send that analogy to Asus, I'm really not happy with them right now... not at all.

Anyway, sorry for complaining, I just am a little pissed off about this.

9. jt_mcg

jt_mcg Newbie

Reputations:
    Just upgraded to 16GB with CMSO16GX3M2A1600C11 Even though the image on Amazon is a desktop DIMM, the part is infact a 204 pin SODIMM. (2 x 8GB)

No issues in recognizing or booting with the 16gb installed.

10. davebugyi

davebugyi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Depends on Chips really.
    I had upgraded using the Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB kit and the laptop froze randomly.
    I changed to Kingston HyperX, and no issues so far :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.