Asus N56VZ 16GB RAM Thread?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by brady_f, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brady_f

brady_f Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Picked up a N56VZ-RB71 from the Microcenter deal a few days ago, and am trying to figure out how some of the resellers are able to get 16GB ram booted? I tried a set of Crucial 8x2 from Microcenter and couldn't get the system to post.

There has to be someone out there who has opted for this upgrade; if so, please post what brand/model you are using....:confused:

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As far as I know, the max amount of RAM this laptop supports is 8GB. Try one stick of 8GB.

3. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ..um. Wow. Seriously? Max 8gb? ..any idea how would they manage to do that?

4. brady_f

brady_f Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A handful of resellers are offering with a 16GB option...:cool:

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you search N56VZ and Max RAM together you'll see a lot of sites coming up with 8GB as the max. Just try 8GB in one DIMM and see if that lets you boot. Maybe you need different RAM, I'm not sure.

7. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ..Maybe it has something to do with the standard timing settings in the spd table. Or, if the ram doesn't have a table for the settings the bios expects, it won't boot (and would need a bios setting change..). Maybe some of the settings are locked, forcing timings that prevent certain types of ram from booting.

If anyone has changed their ram, and have a cpu-z lookup, we could compare the timing with the reference from the manufacturer.. If we're lucky, that might tell us something.

edit: or if we're even luckier, maybe someone would be able to test either a Crucial pc3-12800/1600Mhz 1.35v/1.5v set (with lower volt on the lower timing states), along with a .. Kingston HyperX L33t Edition pc3-14900/1866Mhz (with timings out of range of the standard ram). And see if they perform as they're supposed to.

I was about to order the HyperXtrrreeem chips, but I'm more interested in something that drops down on 1.35v on idle. But then again - if both either won't work, or else work at the original timing... Anyone know if a reseller or an asus-person might be around..?

8. JXulo

JXulo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know a guy that has 12GB, but he also cannot boot with 16GB

9. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm interested in this topic. I just ordered it and my wish was to upgrade to 16GB and now i'm reading about 8gb limit :(
    Hope in a solid and stable solution.

10. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Mm. I've been moseying a bit on the bios-settings - I'm not sure what to make of this, really. The memory is locked somehow to the highest frequency. It stays put at the spd-set "upper state", 800Mhz/11-11-11-28. But it doesn't seem to be forced to that setting in the bios explicitly.

But the drive strength and command delay settings are manually overridden. And I kind of think that's why the chips stay at the highest frequency. For example that the max delay is too low for anything but the highest frequency state. And that this is going to make chips that need longer minimum cycle simply not boot.

I'm not completely steady on this either, though - ..but I sort of think Asus made a mistake here. Wondered about this on the other n53 I had as well - some of the ram timing was hardcoded to something that.. I guess would make sense on a stock desktop computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.