Asus N55SF Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by joaolliveira, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airut

Airut Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm planning to purchase the Asus N55SF-S1158V with i7-2630QM and Full HD screen. Do you recommend this notebook? The only thing that worries me a bit is that I've read some opinions claiming that the refrigeration system is not very efficient so the CPU can reach peaks of 95 degrees and this seems quite too high. Do you experience this problem?

BR

2. ssshadow

ssshadow Newbie

Reputations:
    To the contrary the cooling is extremely efficient, however most people doesn't seem to understand how the CPU works. Basically, the processor has a target temperature around 95 degrees Celsius, and there is no point in keeping it any cooler. My core i7 is rated at 2,2 ghz, but since the cooling is so efficient, turbo core can without any problems keep it overclocked at 2,6 - 2,8 ghz for hours without any problems depending on the amount of cores under load. In essence, the CPU will try to run as fast as possible during load, without overheating, a.k.a reaching 100 degrees.

Another factor to consider is noise. The same thing applies here, the fan will run as quietly as possible during load with about 95 degrees as a target temperature. In my opinion, this system is pretty quiet considering the horse power it has.

So do not worry about the cooling, it is extremely efficient at keeping those delicious ghz at a high number. Also, the GPU is kept cold as well, so it games at max speed.

3. Breila

Breila Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, so after constant problems with my HP Pavilion dv6, KnowHow sorted a replacement laptop for me, and I've ended up with the Asus N55s. I'm loving the look of it, and it loads really quickly, but as soon as I try to go into the start menu, or try to open something on the desktop, it stops responding, and won't do anything, I can't ctrl-alt-del, I have no idea what to do. I got it last night, and all that has been installed is google chrome, Avast! anti-virus and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm currently allowing it to charge up fully, and then will try again, but I'm not computer savvy, and I have no idea what to do. I'm completely reliant on having a laptop as I'm housebound, and at the moment my cat is more help than this laptop!

Can anybody help?

4. dikkiedirk

dikkiedirk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where is this screw holding the DVD drive located?

5. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Under the keyboard I suppose?

6. vsz

vsz Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anybody experienced random crashes while on battery mode? The screen turns bright and fuzzy and you hear a buzzing sound. I have to hold the power button for a long time to get it turned off.
    I have an N55SF, i5-2410, 8gb ram (4 originally) & 120gb ssd.

7. CEUOTC

CEUOTC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's under the CPU/GPU panel on the bottom middle.

Regards.

C.

8. samskiter

samskiter Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Had my Asus n55 since Feb time and having some quality issues with it, wondered if anyone else has had problems.

Ive had a few BSODs now. Maybe once a week. I wonder if it's just my memory intensive programs or something. I code at work, so perhaps one of the tools i use is bad.
    The mouse keys are terrible. only a few months use and the main click button doesnt really click anymore. its just gone soft and mushy, except when it seems to catch on something and click quite badly. Anyone had this?
    The trackpad wore shiny within about a month or two of use.

9. ljk15

ljk15 Newbie

Reputations:
    guys got my n55sl no problems awsum experience.
    Only problem the chrome strip not properly attached to screen..and therefore a few gaps visible..from where display light bleeds in the dark.
    Anyone else facing this defect or should i claim warranty for it.
    Please reply quick..

10. dikkiedirk

dikkiedirk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I recently replaced the harddisk of my N55SF with an SSD and made a clean install of Windows 7. I like to put the original Desktop background or themes of the N55SF on it but where can I get it and how to install it? Can someone send me link where to download them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.