Asus N550JV - user review and owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by c_man, Jul 14, 2013.

1. melevdjeder

melevdjeder Newbie

Reputations:
    If you destroyed the connector on the motherboard, in the worst case that would mean getting a new motherboard. Maybe a talented repairman with extremely advanced soldering skills and equipment can help you though, to replace the connector. And still you got to buy this sort of connector which is probably not easy :/

2. SE9

SE9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip.

3. RaduGh

RaduGh Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm facing a really strange problem with my laptop. It is an N550JV with i7 4700HQ and nVidia 750M 4Gb. My battery died about 1 year ago and i've used my notebook always connected to charger since then. Several months ago it started to automatically power on when first time connected the charger without pressing the power button. It would boot up as usual without other side effects. I've checked in BIOS settings for an "wake up on AC" like option but no luck. I was not able to update the BIOS as EasyFlash requires the battery charged at least to 30%. So i used the thing just fine until last week when i decided to buy a brand new genuine C41 N550 battery, convinced that with an BIOS update everything will be just fine.
    So this is what i come into lately:
    When i received my new battery i leaved it to accomodate to the room temperature about one day (outside beeing really could). After that i opened the back cover of my laptop and changed the old batterypack with te new one. As mention with the old one inside my notebook won't even power on at all (no power led idicator light); as in Windows always "0% plugged in, charging" and charging light flashing orange after 25-30 minutes connected to AC.
    So i tryied to power on my laptop for the first time with the new battery and nothing happened. I presumed that the thing was out of juice so i connected the charger and surprise: it did again that annoying autopower on like with the old battery. So i presumed again that this is somehow related to my BIOS not being updated since i brought the laptop (version 203). In Windows the new battery showed 55% charged. I downloaded the last BIOS version from Asus site (v. 208), putted on an USB flashdrive and maded the update via EasyFlash option within the BIOS. All fine, updated succesfully, done auto restart and bootup to Windows then disconnected the charger and my laptop lasted as expected from 50% battery level: about 1 hour 25 min. during browsing with full brightness and Wifi on. When prompted to connect the charger i connected it and then shutted down. Trying to power on by pressing the button the laptop powered on correctly and i presumed that the problems were gone. Shutted down again and leaved to charge overnight. In the morning the green light idicator lighted green light as normal. Trying to power up via power button did nothing. Disconnected the charger, trying old trick to reset the power management by long press about 30 seconds power button also did bothing. Then i opened back cover again, removed the battery and long pressed the power button and again no response. Removed the BIOS battery then putted back and connected the charger and this time it just autopowered on without pressing the power button. Then i putted back the battery and pressed the power button and the laptop powered on like usually. I shutted the thing down, leaved it for 3 minutes without being connected to AC and tryied again to power on by pressing the power button and again it powered on like normally. Then shutted down again and leaved it about an hour and when tryed to power on again via power button again nothing...
    So that's what i know right now after days trying to fix this:
    With the new battery my laptop won't start (after being shutted down for a while... like 5 to 20 minutes) without removing the battery and clearing CMOS via removing the BIOS battery (sometimes without removing the BIOS battery).
    Without the battery or with the old one it will just autopower on every time i connect the charger.
    The very strange thing is that with the new battery it will behave normally only if between the shut down and power on via power on button the time period is less than 5 minutes. Every longer period will result in nothing happening when pressing the button (no led light, connecting the charger will result in green light if battery charge level >95% and red light <95% but again no response by pressing the power button). The only option i have is removing the battery and putting back in then connecting the charger that will result in autopower on without pressing the button. I don't have any idea what is wrong.
    Sorry for the long post and my bad english. If every one has a clue... Please help me.!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently, for cleaning purposes, I disassembled my Laptop.

everything went fine but few days after when I plugged my external subwoofer, it would simply not work. There was no sound coming from the subwoofer.

To check the problem I re-assembled the laptop but the problem exists.

I also tried to update & reinstall my drivers and even tried to check the subwoofer on Ubuntu but on both OS, there is no sound at all from the subwoofer.

Can anyone please tell me what did I missed?

5. AlphaScorpii

AlphaScorpii Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone here changed CPU fan?
    Mine has become pretty loud now after few years so I'm thinking of changing it.
    I see on ebay, some from germany for ~55$ and some from china for ~4$ :D...
    I would like something good, but not too expensive.

6. hquser

Reputations:
    WOW, I thought I was the only one having a noisy fan issue after 2 years.

Thought fan after being noisy for 3-4 months automatically became silent in my case but it will make grinding noises when it runs on its full speed.

I must admire that the build quality of this laptop is far inferioir. Because if it is even me who treats his electronic devices like a new born baby gets these issues then something literally is wrong with the manufacturing of the product.

Subwoofer Jack suddenly broken, Headphone jack suddenly broken, noisy fan all of sudden... I wonder what will break in next coming days...

Anyhow, changing fan is a very easy process, I think you should try $4 fan first if it works well then all is good else you don't have much to lose either.

But be super careful while disassembling your laptop because even screws are of very loose quality and if you applied a tiny bit of excessive force while unscrewing or screwing them, then they will go flat head and stuck forever there like in my case.

7. AlphaScorpii

AlphaScorpii Newbie

Reputations:
    I checked on other forum and they said to check below the fan.. there might be dust.

I will soon change memory so I will open it and check.
    I already opened laptop once to change WIFI cards so I know that screws are pain in the ass :).

8. hquser

Reputations:
    Dust is indeed the leading cause but it shouldn't cause fans to make grinding noises.

I have the Acer Aspire 5720 laptop which is about 7 years old and it never make grinding noises no matter how much dusty it gets.

I actually cleaned my fans using air blower and after that my fan still continued to make noises. Just recently (after 3 months of cleaning fan) I have noticed that my fans have stopped making noises. Strange behavior.