Asus N550JV - user review and owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by c_man, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Niekjuh

Niekjuh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. guv_cyp

guv_cyp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it only me who's not happy with the drivers installed automatically by Windows Update in Windows 10 and the only one angry with Asus for not releasing any proper drivers and updated versions of the utilities on their support page as well???

3. meowpow

meowpow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the optical connected via SATA III interface? I'd like to replace it with a SSD. I'm sure someone has probably asked this Q already but there are over 200 pages in this thread and searching isn't helping since some people state yes while others no. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. macrint

macrint Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hdd port is sata3 and DVD port is sata2. If you haven't already you can put the ssd in the hdd port and move the original hard drive to the DVD port.

5. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Count me in too. Although I have N550JK and they are giving N550JK the same treatment, they are not releasing any further updates anymore.
    Their driver support and build quality is the thing I really hate the most.
    Next time I am never gonna buy ASUS computers again.

6. SE9

SE9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At least ASUS has got a good user crowd: http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

7. melevdjeder

melevdjeder Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

Has anyone experienced weird problems with the screen of a N550JV? The issue is the following: the screen seems very 'sensitive' for movements - and if I move the screen when the computer is running, usually it just switches off and gets black (while the computer is still running). Under Windows, if I hit the screen on/off combination, I can get it back to work again, but under Linux, a complete restart is needed.
    Obviously that might be a broken screen cable inside, or maybe the magnetic lid sensor?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome, how to fix it and what the problem could be.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. HagsterZx

HagsterZx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello.Today i cleaned my notebook and i scratched tree pins on the display jack(motherboard) and won't work.With external display work.
    [​IMG]
    What to do in this case?
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. niro123

niro123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just installed a new SSD 850 Evo (windows 10 clean install). works perfect:

SE9 likes this.
  10. melevdjeder

melevdjeder Newbie

Reputations:
    Answering my own question for the possible benefit of others: it may be caused by the screen's cable getting loose (and then guess it won't restart the screen once some of the signals drops out for a while and it turns black) A solution is to reconnect the cable and maybe putting something under the lid to keep the connector in position there.