Asus N550JV - user review and owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by c_man, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try running 3DMark benchmark to verify score for both CPU & GPU, then check them against published scores from Futuremark to verify whether they are correct or not.

2. notebookrevi

notebookrevi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, I have a problem. I have enabled Launch PXE OpROM policy in BIOS/BOOT (stock BIOS v 208 downloaded from Asus) and now my n550jv doesn't boot. It starts, keyboard lights up for a second as usual, but no POST, nothing on screen.

I have found a lot of topics with the same outcome about n56vz, but none of them helped me.

Tried the AMI recovery with a flash drive and CTRL+HOME: the drive's led is flashing for some 5-8 seconds (seems like the notebook it is really reading it), but then it stops, keyboard lights up for a second and that's it.

Tried taking out the batteries and waiting for 5 minutes: the same.

Do you have any ideas?

UPD: flash drive flashes the same way even if I name the file A.A (instead of AMIBOOT.ROM or N550JVAS.ROM), so it looks like it is searching for the right file, but doesn't find it.

UPD2: I have found multiple reports that N550JV.bin works, but is doesn't for me. That's the moment I wish there was an internal speaker built-in...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. coercitiv

coercitiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I were to try a BIOS reset I would disconnect main battery, disconnect BIOS backup battery, then press power button for 10-15 seconds to make sure power coils are drained.

In my opinion you should have focused on reseting the BIOS rather flashing, now you have no clue whether your current BIOS is intact or not.

4. notebookrevi

notebookrevi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That was the first thing I did indeed.

From what I have read (mostly on Russian forums), AMI recovery almost never works as one would expect (particularly on N56VZ and N550JV). Very few have succeeded recovering BIOS this way and descriptions are completely the same as in my case.

But one of the success stories mentioned recovery from EFI_partition\ASUS\N56VZ.BIN. Could you look if you have something similar on that partition? I would be extremely grateful.

5. arubial1229

arubial1229 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have had an N550JV for about a year and I love it. I recently upgraded the BIOS to 208 to resolve an issue I was having with the Nvidia 750M. I updated the BIOS using the Easy Flash utility and it said it was successful. Now when I boot up the machine, it is constantly going to the BIOS. I noticed SecureBoot was turned on, so I disabled it (it was disabled on my previous BIOS). I saved the BIOS and attempted to boot but it went back into the BIOS menu. I also noticed the Boot Option Priorities is greyed out and it used to be blue, I used to be able to select which device to boot, but now I don't have that option. I went into the SecureBoot menu and cleared all the keys as well as reset the BIOS to default settings. It's still going to the BIOS instead of booting off my SSD.

Any ideas?

Edit: I am able to boot off the DVD with SecureBoot enabled or disabled. The only boot option I can see now it UEFI: DVDROM. Funny thing is SecureBoot is currently disabled so why is it trying to boot via UEFI? It appears as if the BIOS settings are not actually turning off the SecureBoot flag, even though it shows as disabled.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. lovingdvd

lovingdvd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else having a problem with the display losing its "touch" controls? In summary, there's an issue where apparently due to power management the machine winds up turning off the touch controls so that the screen works fine for display but does not respond to any touch at all. When this happens I just have to go into Device Manager for the human input control or whatever it is and then re-enable it. Then it starts working. But eventually it stops working again and I have to redo this step. Does anyone know what condition causes it to not work again, requiring me to manually re-enable it? And is there a permanent fix or a work-around that is "good enough" to not have the issue come back. Given some reports here about the various BIOS updates and other drivers that can cause issue I'm hesitant to update anything unless for sure its known to resolve the issue. For reference I'm using the system as was delivered a couple weeks back with whatever drivers/updates it comes with - except for any updates applied with Windows Update (fully update to date with Windows Updates).

7. tsktsk

tsktsk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I just purchased one of these bad boys today and I have a question I couldn't find an answer to anywhere. Is there a way to make the backlit keyboard timeout. On mine, it is constantly on, but on my former macbook, the keyboard light would eventually turn itself off. Is there a way to make it shut off after a few seconds?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think it's built into the firmware to do so no. You would have to do it manually.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is like software feature that controls the EC firmware on the keyboard.
    You will need both support before such behavior can be accomplished.

10. tsktsk

tsktsk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Kevin,
    I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here. So, there is some kind of software where I can control the time it takes the backlit keyboard to shut off? Just to test, I did let the computer sit idle, and I think after about 60 seconds the keyboard does turn off on its own. I did a little bit more research and on a macbook, there is a setting for the backlit keyboard to shut off after idle and you can control the amount of time (5 seconds all the way up to 5 minutes). Hopefully I am just missing a setting on the Asus for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.