Asus N550JV - user review and owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by c_man, Jul 14, 2013.

1. haquocdung

haquocdung Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hey guys,

I was wondering if you heard the next generation of this laptop will be released anytime soon?
    I am looking to buy this a work station laptop with IPS screen (a good GPU will be a plus, but not necessary + DVD will be replace with a caddy)
    Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You have to use the ASUS tool such as AI Recovery Burner, see below.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Troubleshooting G73Sw

3. apeiron75

apeiron75 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. My notebook did not have it installed, so I downloaded and ran it. Unfortunately it says "recovery partition does not exist" :(

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Did you reinstall the OS by yourself manually by any chance?
    Anyhow, you can try this instead to reset your PC using below method.
    How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Microsoft Windows Help

5. apeiron75

Reputations:
    nope, i just upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 - do you think the n750jv came with this program installed?

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    It says it's only available on select models. Try method one or the Microsoft reset procedures.

7. apeiron75

Reputations:
    thanks Kevin. However my problem is not restoring the system, but rather making a DVD backup of the recovery partition (I want to install windows7 and want to avoid any problems)

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Found another method.
    Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8

9. ctasusfan

ctasusfan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. New owner of the ASUS N550JV-DB72T (bought on Amazon here) and although I love this machine [1TB 5400RPM, Nvidia GT750M, 8GB RAM], I have two questions.

1) Pretty sure there are international variants. Does the U.S.-version have a 24GB SSD? I ask because this article says my exact model has a 24GB SSD. I ordered from Amazon.com and I don't have a 24GB SSD. Just confirming this is normal for the U.S.-model. I wasn't expecting a SSD, but wondering if this explains question 2) slow boots below.

2) Every review I read (including U.S.-based ones) says this model boots in 15-16s. I'm getting cold start boots of 5.2s to the ASUS logo and then 28.2 from the ASUS logo to my Windows 8.1 background image. Total boot time = 33.4s.

33.4s is more than double 15s. I have the SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (1TB 5400RPM). Do others have different/faster hard drives?

Here's a couple source articles saying the 15s or 16s boot time:

Article: ASUS N550JV Review | Notebook Reviews
    Looks like exact same 1TB model with 8GB RAM as my unit:

"The N550JV's 1TB 5,400rpm SATA hard drive booted in 16 seconds, 20 seconds faster than the category average (36 seconds) and beating the ATIV Book 6 (23 seconds)."

Article: Asus N550 / N550JV review - a sleek multimedia notebook
    Slightly different model than mine. 750GB 5400RPM (smaller drive but same RPM) with 16GB RAM (2X RAM)

"The N550 runs Windows 8 and boots from cold in about 15 seconds"

Can others do a cold start boot-up test on a stock ASUS N550JV-DB72T? I did upgrade to Windows 8.1, but that "shouldn't" affect boot times. Wish I benchmarked it before upgrading though.

I've had the unit for 10 days, so trying to see if I need to exchange it. The hard drive shouldn't take 2X to boot as others with same model. Is there a good hard drive benchmark utility I can run for this hard drive and compare it somehow with others online? Wondering if I got a lemon hard drive.

Thanks everyone!
    p.s. Waking from sleep only takes ~2s which is pretty sweet!

10. rutgersftw

rutgersftw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I just got this laptop last week and I really like it. I had bought a Q550 from Best Buy and had no real issues, but I really wanted this model and when it came back in stock at Amazon I swapped it. The N series is a huge cut above the Q, bigger than just non-ULV processor. The build is much more rigid, the keyboard isn't recessed and feels springier, the AC adapter is larger and seems to charge more rapidly (however, battery is 2/3 the Q550) BUT...

I'm having a problem waking from sleep. The desktop will display for 2-3 seconds then go blank. Backlight is still on, system makes noise, but I have to reboot... sometimes more than once, to get to the desktop. I'm reinstalling graphics drivers now and wondering if this has something to do with Optimus conflicts or if anyone else has had this problem. If the driver refresh doesn't solve it I'm not sure what will.