Asus N53SV & N53SN SandyBridge Owner Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nama8137, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have N53SV, but in my case all programs say I have installed both RAM modules to DIMM1 and DIMM3, but I don't see DIMM2 or DIMM4 - weird :)

2. Oliviakrk

Oliviakrk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where did you get power from? Form dvd's sata connector?

3. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I was wondering from those who have done the FHD upgrade on the N53 whether it was worth it? Also, where did you get your screen and what brand etc?

I have contacted the eBayer elbolo suggested but he cannot guarantee the brand or model or part number of the screen which I will receive... he says 'you will receive a screen compatible with the n53'. I need a better idea than this, I'm a photographer and image quality is very important...

Thanks

4. ASUS787

ASUS787 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have connected +ve from the usb port!:)

5. Oliviakrk

Oliviakrk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK. Thanks for info.

6. Scrilla

Scrilla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

Theres an Asus N53SN-SH71 for sale right now that i might buy...

has i7(2670qm) 8G DD3,2GB Nvidia GT540M etc...

my only concern is...I want to use this for a bit of gaming especially when diable 3 drops... Im sure it will run the game decently but i want to know if i can upgrade the graphics card in this laptop... is that at all possible for this model?

Thanks.

7. shumilica

shumilica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, you can't upgrade the graphic card for this model. It's put directly onto the motherboard. Also, very few laptops offer this possibility.
    You should just save more money until you can afford a laptop with a graphic card that satisfies your needs.
    For me the GT550M it's more than enough...

@Oliviakrk, ASUS787 wrote at least 2 posts where he explained how he implemented his solution, just go into his profile to see a list of his posts.

I have another 'bright' idea about the backlit keyboard. What do you say about connecting the power wire from the keyboard to one of those minuscule usb bluetooth dongle which you can then insert into an usb port? Yes, that means you have to get the wire outside the laptop somehow, but you would be able to activate the backlit by only enabling and disabling the device, or by just unplugging it. I'm thinking of sticking the wire outside trough the card reader, solder it onto the usb bluetooth dongle and connect it to the usb... Would it work? :) Now, another part is how you can open a bluetooth dongle and to solder a wire onto it... :) The main advantage would be not voiding the warranty...

8. madlof

madlof Newbie

Reputations:
    Wait what? How do I do that? It's a pretty recent purchase so I'm afraid to bork it.

9. amilachandrasiri

amilachandrasiri Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Kudos on the thread, wealth of information here.

I received my N53SV a couple of weeks back and been pretty impressed with it. Especially coming from a Core2 Duo with 2GB ram.

Naturally, i chucked in 12 gigs ram and an Intel 520 SSD as soon as i got it. I had the issues with the Wifi card too and decided to get and intel 6300. received it day before yesterday and installed it yesterday.

Problem I'm facing is that since the installation, lappys making a wiered noise. Its almost a whine and I've noticed that it only comes when I'm transferring something over the wireless. I've heard that these noises are from faulty capacitors on the power circuits. its pretty loud and very audible in a quite room.

Any one had this sort of trouble?
    Could it be an issue with power drain? I've heard that this card is a monster with 3x3 and all, I've only plugged in 2 of the antennas.(left the middle one n/c)

Thanks heaps for your time.

PS:Oh, and I'll be taking it apart again to add the third antenna(which is in the mail), if anyone needs a picture guide on taking it apart, I'd be happy to make one and post the link here.

10. Oliviakrk

Oliviakrk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, please post some pictures;). I am going to swap wifi card soon.