Asus N53SV & N53SN SandyBridge Owner Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nama8137, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriskwarren

chriskwarren Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks folks appreciated. @787 I just bought the same wireless card and will give it a shot momentarily. I have replaced the keyboard myself already (as well as the HDD for an M4 SSD and popped in 8GB of Corsair memory so the wireless is the last thing I want to tackle).

I am looking for specific info on how to handle the wireless antenna leads but I think I got it. They come off the current card by popping upwards it seems.

@dental: I found that thread thanks. I was not sure how much I should have disassembled just to get to the wireless card, as that guide looked more like a complete dis-assembly. Still, an invaluable thread and much appreciated as it will help with this project too.

I think I'll be fine its just a confidence thing at the moment. My current setup with the Atheros card works OK as-is, but the tinkerer in me just wants it to work better and access my router at full capability.

Thanks again

2. rsinghtoor

rsinghtoor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey what keyboard did you buy and could you provide a link? Thanks

3. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
    How would you guys say this notebook is built compared to your regular HP Pavilion, Dell Inspirion and TOshiba Satellite?

4. chriskwarren

chriskwarren Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the seller, and looks like the same keyboard:
    NEW ASUS N53 N53JQ N53JF N53SV N53SN N53NB US keyboard | eBay

I saw a chicklet one posted earlier in this thread that looks nicer, but the one I posted above worked fine a I like a little better than the stock keyboard.

Wireless card installed and working great. Getting good speeds on the 300mb connection, but the reception is not as strong as I anticipated. The regular n connection seems to work just as good (or better) than the Atheros, so I assume that the antenna was reconnected correctly.

Had to remove more screws than I had hoped. I was using another guide and it did not mention a bunch of screws, or said the screws were not important but they were.

5. ASUS787

ASUS787 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad to hear you got it going with the intel 6230n. I upgraded my keyboard to backlit using the wi/fi switch and now looking for a good SSD.

6. Subbieh

Subbieh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    These BSOD's are making me angry.
    I upgraded all my drivers, still I had BSOD's.
    I analyzed my dmp files on my other computer (I can't install it the tools on this computer) and it pointed towards PCI.sys. I didn't have driver installed of "PCI simple communications manager", which was the Intel Management Interface, so I hoped it would get better.
    The amount is reduced, but I'm still having BSOD's.
    Does anyone please have a fix? Or has experience with my issue?

7. mattstermh

mattstermh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone here playing Battlefield 3 on the 550m? How is it with AA?

8. jmv2009

jmv2009 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Run windows memory tester
    MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows
    Let it swap out everything and let it run overnight with multiple instances.

9. mattstermh

mattstermh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am trying to take off the keyboard so I can replace it with a different one, but it just won't come off. I am using a flathead screwdriver to get into the crevices, but I am not 100% sure where the hinges are and where I need to press. At what angle? How should it come/slide off?

Thanks

10. nebulus

nebulus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.