Asus N53JQ - Issue with Intel Turbo Boost

Discussion in 'Asus' started by TonyH12, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    LOL! Nice metaphor :p

Well, if you don't have that option ( neither do I ), you will need to update your BIOS.

2. TonyH12

TonyH12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was hoping that I would not need to result to that. I don't know much about laptops, but I know that messing around with the BIOS can be a bad thing.

Anyways, is there a way to check which version BIOS I'm running? Looking at the Asus driver support I notice that there have been 2 updates. One for "China marketing issue" (newest version) and one that is just a firmware change. Phistachio, I just wanna say thanks again for your help. I've been searching for an easy fix everywhere, but I think that I came to realize that this is either a BIOS problem or hardware (very unlikely...). Anyways, I'm gonna call up Asus and ask them which version of BIOS I should use.

3. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    No problemo Tony :D

Messing around with the BIOS is good and bad : when you know how to do it, it's a piece of cake. When something goes puff... Then yeah, you know :p

It is very unlikely it is a hardware problem. To check the BIOS version, enter the BIOS, and then, while in the "Main" tab, you will see :
    BIOS Information
    BIOS Vendor - American Megatrends
    Version - N61Jq 212 <- That's the BIOS version ( in my laptop, I think it should be the same with yours, but instead of N61Jq, a N53Jq ).

Anyway, could you please describe your problem again, I'm kind of lost :eek: :p

Cheers! :)

Now, looking at your picture in the OP, I can clearly say that somehow the CPU is at power saving mode, because that's the speed I get when I'm in P4G Battery saving mode...

I THINK, as a last resource, a PC re-format would help.

OT : How did your finals go? Did they go well? :)

4. TonyH12

Reputations:
    Finals went OK. Thank goodness my classes have curves or else I would be doomed.

So my problem is that my laptop is always running at 930 MHz no matter what I'm running. Basically, I feel as if my laptop is running at an "idle" stage all the time. In the past I saw the clock go to 3000 MHz. I reformatted twice. 1 time with a clean install of a Windows 7 and the second time I reformatted using my backup CD.

5. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    Mmm... That is weird...

Perhaps there is some weird bug which fixed the multiplier in the BIOS?

7. TonyH12

Reputations:
    I downloaded the Intel Boost Monitor and I can see it go up and down, but it never goes beyond a certain point. It moves up and down about a centimeter at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.