1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus N53JF Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nid_dipav, Nov 22, 2010.

1. SkinnyDennis

SkinnyDennis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still not right, I don't get a full screen of black now, but only a still of the video. Can still hear the audio.

2. mechbeav

mechbeav Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same issue until I fully uninstalled Flash and installed 10.1. Don't use the Windows uninstall - use the links I provided. Worked for me on Firefox, YMMV.

3. wdjskfsll

wdjskfsll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Re. my USB 3.0 enclosure's failure to make any auto-detect Windows acknowledgment, I still haven't heard back from an email to Asus other than their auto-reply saying it should take 2 days (it has been 4 but 2 of those were weekend days), but I think I have found a work around.

Connect the drive to a USB 2.0 port and wait for the Windows "ding" and wait for the drivers to load. Now safely disconnect by clicking the icon in the lower right tray [I often get "Denied because something is using this drive right now", even though I have no idea what is, but that's another story]. Now connect to the USB 3.0 port. Still no "ding"? Remove and then replace. "DING!" :)

4. essense

essense Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I got my laptop back after 3 weeks... They changed the motherboard but the whine is still here..........

5. Mesa115

Mesa115 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about your whine problem still, yikes!

I've have mine since Nov2010 and haven't really noticed this. Even when surfing in bed with no music.

6. essense

Reputations:
    it must be my badluck but the techie said he will order in a CPU and swap it for me to see...!

7. wdjskfsll

wdjskfsll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I returned my USB 3.0 external enclosure while I was still under the window of opportunity to do so and receive a full refund, however should anyone care:

A) Asus tech support did get back to me with some generic suggestions, one being "might you have a bad cord?" and in the end I think that or a faulty USB 3.0 port may indeed by the culprit. On the rare occasion that I could finally establish a USB 3.0 connection it would severe with no explanation after a few minutes, but after trying for days I then observed that brushing against the cord quite lightly caused the disconnect to occur.

B) In an informal test I found that transferring a 3.54GB file from the laptop to the enclosure's drive took 40 seconds instead of USB 2.0 which took 2m 44s, so USB 3.0 in my particular situation, at least, seems to be about 4 times faster. [The claimed "10X" may only apply to small burst speeds of small files or have other contingencies, but my example was a real world test of how I actually use the connection , transferring large HD movie files].

8. SkinnyDennis

Reputations:
    Yup, used your links, no go.

9. wdjskfsll

wdjskfsll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm unable to play Flash videos in Explorer since I upgraded to IE 9. There is some mention by Adobe that Flash can not play in IE 9 under Windows 7 64bit, but a quick attempt to try it in 32bit as they suggest, which still seems on my drive, fails as well.

For now I've been using Firefox for browsing instead, but I do hope this gets worked out.

10. wdjskfsll

wdjskfsll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ^ Update. Although fullscreen is still a problem, I am now able to play Adobe Flash videos, like Youtube, in IE9.

I followed instructions to first fully remove previous versions of flash using Adobe's instructions I found here [note: I disabled my firewall temporarily.]:

YouTube videos won't play? - YouTube Help

After this, another step was to reset my IE 9 settings to default:

Tools> Internet options > Advanced > "Reset" on that page> check box "Delete personal settings"

Reboot. Done.

Hope this works for others! Good luck.

11. ATribe

ATribe Newbie

Reputations:
    I just ordered my N53jf-xe1. Sorry if this has already been asked, but what exactly is the deal with the recovery disk? Somebody said you get prompted when your first start it up to make 5 recovery disks, and it takes a long time. Anyone know about this?
    Thanks

12. essense

Reputations:
    The deal with recovery disks is that they don't ship you an installation disk so the recovery lets you make a copy of it.
    I think most people make recovery disks after deleting some bloatware and installing some stuff?

But you can always restore the computer back to its fresh state. After you restart the computer and press a few buttons (don't remember how but you can ask ASUS) the computer installs the OS back to the very very beginning.

13. ATribe

ATribe Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response. Also, how do you reformat so that the bigger drive becomes the primary drive?

14. essense

Reputations:
    Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean?
    The only partition you have right now is a tiny one used for reinstalling your OS and I don't know if you can even touch that.

15. SkinnyDennis

Reputations:
    My C drive is 116gb, D is 327.

16. essense

Reputations:
    Hmm... I don't know how you can change the size of your partition (I know mac can) but when you reformat your hard drive the windows setup lets you choose partitions and its sizes.

If you don't already have a windows disk, you can download it here

Burn it, boot from the disk, format your drive, set your partitions, install

17. ATribe

ATribe Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah, thankyou. I received my N53JF-XE1 in the mail yesterday, so far really like it. Especially love the display and speakers. Getting used to the trackpad and keyboard.

18. wdjskfsll

wdjskfsll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do we know if the card reader in the N53JF-XE1 can use the newest SDXC format? My Google search came up empty on info regarding this.

[I asked earlier but fear the question got missed due to another discussion.]

19. essense

Reputations:
    I can't verify it sorry!
    but I think your question should be whether or not it can use the SDXC to its full potential? I think most things are backward compatible

20. SkinnyDennis

Reputations:
    Well now I can play full screen youtube video, with firefox 3.6.17.

Strange, I don't recall updating to flash 10,1,53,64...but that's what's running. Full screen video wasn't working yesterday.

Gremlins abound.

Dennis