Asus N53JF Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nid_dipav, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alonso14

Alonso14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm in the same position, trying to find somewhere in the UK that stocks this model. The closest I have found is ASUS N53JF-SX168V:
    Intel Core i5-460M(2.53GHz)
    15.6" 1366x768
    4GB Memory DDR3
    640GB HDD
    Blu-Ray combo drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M
    £750 (simplyasus.com)

But I really want the 1080p screen, which this model doesn't have. Incidentally, neither the XE1 nor SX168V are listed on the Asus UK site.

2. irTim

irTim Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I gave up in the end and purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 from the States - turned out to be a lot cheaper (however still no FHD).

Sorry to tell you but I do not think you'll have much luck finding a FHD N53JF in UK, I searched for hours on end and nothing came up.
    However if you do manage to find it, please let me know!

Edit:
    Oh, I also emailed several sites asking whether they were able to get hold of the XE1, the most successful reply was from eBuyer with:

So if you wait a while they may eventually stock them.

3. Alonso14

Reputations:
    Cheers for the info. A laptop with a Core i5/i7 processor, 15"-16" FHD screen and blu-ray drive for a reasonable (sub £900) price is proving very tricky to find. I would go with Dell, but I really want it asap, and not have to wait the 3 weeks or so it takes them to build it.

4. irTim

irTim Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I looked at Sony Vaio and found these:

* Intel® CoreTM i5-460M, 2.53GHz
    * Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    * 320 GB Serial ATA (7200 rpm)
    * 4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    * Blu-ray Disc(TM) player
    * 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
    * ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB
    * Wi-Fi
    * Bluetooth

For: £769

But the free blu ray drive offer ends tonight! So that will up the price to £820 or something.
    I think that is a brilliant deal, however in the end I went for:

Intel ® Core ™ i7 720QM 1.6GHz
    15.6" diagonal high definition LED Display (1366x768)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 graphics with 1GB DDR3 dedicated graphics memory
    4GB DDR3 memory
    500GB Serial ATA hard drive

For £710.

If you're interested in the Vaio, go here and customize it to your liking:
    https://shop.sony.co.uk/shop/ipc/di...000000009_EB3&cCharGroupName=$BASE_GROUP)/.do

5. Alonso14

Reputations:
    Yeah, thats the other one I spotted apart from the Dell, cheers. Problem is the lead time is 2-3 weeks, and apparently Sony dont support Optimus like Asus - I quite like the idea of auto switching to Intel graphics when performing simple tasks. I found a preconfigured Sony VPCF12M0EB for £880, which I may have to settle for, though Id rather pay that sort of money for a "new" laptop rather than a discontinued model (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_VAIO_F12M0E-B_Core_i7_Laptop_VPCF12M0EB/version.asp?PID=1711). It still doesnt solve the Optimus problem though, and it has the older GT 330M card.

6. irTim

irTim Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh, sorry didn't realise you wanted a preconfigured model.

You may or may not have heard of the make Medion, anyway Sainsbury have a pretty good deal on one of their laptops that you may want to check out:

Medion Erazer X6811 Gaming Graphics Nvidia GTX460M Core i7-740QM 4GB 640GB 15.6" HD Ready High Performance Laptop - Electrical gifting - Gifts - Home and garden - Sainsbury’s

But you may want to try and find more information about Medion first of all as they are definitely not one of the top laptop manufacturers.

7. Alonso14

Reputations:
    The Medion has the lower screen resolution though - if I decide to accept defeat with the 1080p screen, the Asus N53JF-SX168V I linked to earlier seems a reasonable buy

8. irTim

irTim Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh, I thought the Medion had a FHD screen, on the Sainsbury specification page it says:
    Maximum screen resolution: 1920 x 1080

My bad.
    And yeah the Asus does seem like a good buy, and the looks of it are awesome as well.

9. Ady_Digital

Ady_Digital Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi, does anyone know where is the air "intake" on N53? I can only see one air vent on the left side, is it in or out???

10. SomeGuy135

SomeGuy135 Newbie

Reputations:
    Intake is front bottom. The vent on the left spits out hot air. If anyone's interested on screen specs there's a thorough review on anandtech. Its a little glum but its useful. They really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to come up with anything to complain about.

I've got the xe1. I never thought I'd care for 1080p on a 15" laptop. After a week of use I'd can't stand looking at anything less. Thx Essence for the links. I got mine off tigerdirect.ca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.