Asus N43SL/SN Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by too456, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Peter_Leth

Peter_Leth Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! This is my first post here, just wanted to share my experience with the N43SN, which has been positive, even after some minor issues.

First of all, I had the same problem that most owners of this particular model had. The annoying frame rate drops after very few minutes of gameplay. I almost gave up on the idea of using it for gaming. I'm a casual gamer, so I thought that this laptop would be more than enough for me.

After a lot of research I found some threads on forums and this one in particular that helped me to solve the frame rate issues completely. So I thought I should share every step I did to fix and maintain the temperatures at a reasonable level.

First of all, I live in São Paulo - Brazil, and ambient temperatures are most of the time very hot, so temps are always on the high side, and there's not much to do about it. Since I cannot afford to buy an air conditioner, there are very few options left to improve my temperatures. What I did, was to repaste it with some Artic Cooling MX2. It obsviously didn't make any miracles, but it helped to decrease the temperatures by about 5~7°C. Not bad at all. The original paste was completely dried up already. The laptop runs really cool on idle now, about 45~55°C.

Even though I was able to reduce the temperatures, gaming was still making the laptop to produce a lot of heat. It was still possible to play any game I wanted, but the frame drops were really annoying. So I started to search for anything that could stop the cpu of throttling down. I tried to disable turbo, which helped, but did not fix the issue, then I tried throttlestop, and things started to improve a little bit, but the temperatures were still a concern.

So my final solution, was to set the CPU affinity on the Windows task manager whenever I launched a game, and assigned only 4 CPUs (usually I would skip the 2 first CPUs). That improved my temperature for a decrease of 5°C sometimes 8°C! By limiting the amount of CPUs (cores) the application can use, you can reduce the CPU load, thus it produces less heat. Now I'm able to run the games I wanted without any issues! Sometimes I lift the keyboard to allow a better airflow, but it's not really necessary, games are running fine and temps are within the safe range (about 70~80 on the CPU and 80~85 on the GPU). I also disabled turbo mode, I usually set the multiplier to 19x or 20x on throttlestop, depending on the ambient temperature and how demanding the game is.

Over all, i'm very pleased with this laptop, I upgraded the hard drive with a Samsung 840, and this thing flying! I'm also running Windows 8.1 Pro with no issues.

Cheers!

2. Lightspeed Champ

Lightspeed Champ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I’m having some trouble installing Windows 7 on a new SSD Drive for my N43SL. I just bought a Samsung 840 EVO and I would like to install windows 7 on the new drive instead of transferring the data from my old Hard Drive using the SATA data cable. After setting the boot priority to the DVD and turning on the computer with the Windows 7 iso inside the drive I get the following message: “Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media and press any key”

I tried to boot through the DVD using the boot override in the bios but it didn’t work either. I googled the issue and read something about Windows looking for a boot file on my HDD, and not being able to find it since the HDD is no longer there. One of the proposed solutions I found cosisted of removing the battery of the mother board for a few minutes and trying to boot again. However I have no clue on how to remove the battery and I'm not sure if it would work.

Does anyone know how I could be able to do this clean install? Here are some screenshots of my BIOS configuration:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

3. mustanaamio

mustanaamio Newbie

Reputations:
    Set the Samsung SSD as Boot Option #1 (select the Boot Option #1 with arrow keys, press enter and select the SSD). If that doesn't work, try spam F8 on startup (with the installation disk in the DVD drive).

I installed my windows by downloading the Windows 7 .ISO file on an USB stick, made it bootable with some tool I can't remember and then spammed F8 on startup. You can find your Windows 7 key from the sticker in the bottom of the laptop.

4. Lightspeed Champ

Lightspeed Champ Newbie

Reputations:
    I made it. I installed the .ISO on an USB stick and pressed esc during start up in order to chose the usb drive as boot option. At first I had plugged it on the usb 3.0 port and it didn't work out (it did load the .iso file, but i got an error on the first step of the installation, related to some missing driver). Than I tried again plugging the usb drive on another USB port and it worked. Feels good man.

However I was expecting to be able to access data on my old HDD drive just by connecting it to the laptop usb/sata cable. I thought by doing so the old drive would appear as an external drive and I would be able to copy my data "manually" from it. But it doesn't work like that. Maybe its due to the fact that the old drive still has the OS installed to it and everything, so it can't be seen as a simple storage drive. Does anyone know how I could have acess to the data on my old drive, which still has W7 installed?

5. Vooon

Vooon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm considering upgrading my RAM considerably. At the moment I've got only one 4GB chip, it's been working fine so far, but since things are going a little slower I'd like to knock it up a few notches. Back a few pages I read that the N43SN supports at least 16GB, so I'm thinking about that. I've got a Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor, which according to Intel supports max 16 GB RAM. I always though the mother board decided that, but I read some pages back that a user had done a successful upgrade to 16.

So I'm wondering what kinda kit I need to buy, if 16GB is overkill for just light gaming, or if I should just go for another 4GB?

6. Protoss_

Protoss_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For gaming, 8gb is more than enough and 16gb is an overkill. I say this as an owner of N43SN with i7-2670QM and 16gb of RAM ;)) take advantage of the fact that you have one slot free, and just buy another 4gb, it's a cheap upgrade.

7. gogoberry

gogoberry Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the driver disc that they could upload?

I bought mine in Thailand and it came with nothing.

8. Vooon

Vooon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, I went for another 4GB, works way better now.

@gogoberry, check out the first post, it's a little outdated now I guess but it'll give you an idea where to find the latest drivers. Does any company still supply all these discs nowadays anyway?

9. ryanrioz

ryanrioz Newbie

Reputations:
    I think it should given the stuff dy.:hmm:

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Dat necro.