Asus Model: Q501LA-BBI5T03

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ironmike86, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkpollo

darkpollo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am thinking on buying this one or the N550JV for 850$ (non touchscreen one).

Do you think Is it worth the 200$ difference? (against the 649$ on bestbuy)

Thanks

2. BubbaRob

BubbaRob Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well the N550 has an i7 4700mq cpu which scores 7900 on passmark where as the Q501 has the i5 4200u that scores only 3900 so you would have much more processing power with the N550 not to mention a dedicated GT 750m with DDR3 RAM for gaming. Plus you get a dvd drive with the N550. I would say the price is worth it IF you need the extra power. But the N550 power brick is much bigger and has less battery life. You'll have to decide what you need.

3. virtu

virtu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi =)

I am from Brazil, but last 2 weeks I bought my unit at Fort Myers, FL, Best Buy.
    My first unit came with the "W" key very loose, with a dead pixel and the box seems that was already opened.

So I returned my unit in the next day and got a another unit that is working fine =)

Thanks.

4. mbwd

mbwd Newbie

Reputations:
    For those with the keyboard backlight (backlit) issue. The previous poster who noted you need to upgrade to BIOS 209 is CORRECT -- even if you are on BIOS 207 (there does not appear to be a BIOS 208).

Anyway, here are the steps to do it yourself:

1) Download the latest bios from here
    2) Copy the extracted file (it ends in .209) to a thumb drive -- making sure it is the only file on the drive
    3) Restart the computer, pressing F2 when it starts to load
    4) Select the Advanced tab
    5) Select the EZ Flash program
    6) Select the correct mount (mine was 1), and look for the file ending in .209 (if you select the right mount, the only file will be the one ending in .209)
    7) Update the BIOS
    8) Confirm update by rebooting while pressing F2 and looking at BIOS number - it should be 209.

That's it. My backlit keyboard now works when the power is plugged in (and when it is not).

Thanks to the prior poster for relating this information.

5. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I am right now typing on my new Asus Q501LA from best buy. I'm just going to type some random opinions about my new laptop.

The keyboard is definitely different than my previous 13.3" laptop. I like it, but I still needs to get used to it. The location of the powerbutton is in an awkward position since I use the pageup/pagedown keys often. The silver coloured keys look very unique. The arrow key's orientation is very awkward since the right arrow key digs in to the numberpad.

I am using the stock BIOS version and luckily I am not experiencing any of the keyboard-light problems that some of you face. This laptop seems very nice. There is a small problem with the touchpad, so I am going to make an exchange first thing tomorrow. The top right corner of the touchpad is raised and it doesn't always register. This thing is a fingerprint magnet!

This thing came with a n intel N7260 :D

I am directly under a light, and the screen brightness set at 60-70% is perfect. In total darkness, the keyboard light set to medium with the display set at 30-40% is more than enough for me.

6. BubbaRob

Reputations:
    I too just picked up this laptop and am typing on it now. Had to update my BIOS as the keyboard light wouldn't stay on. BIOS 209 fixed it as stated above. The IPS display presented some serious temporary ghosting when I first turned it on but has since faded. It was so bad I could see the image of the "next" button while setting up Windows. Hardware ID says this is an LG display and I also have the Intel N7260 WiFi card with WiDi. Nice buy for $650.

**FYI....You can increase the integrated graphics memory in the BIOS as well. It's defaulted to 64MB but can be set all the way up to 512MB which I have done.**

PinoyBoy likes this.
  7. PinoyBoy

Reputations:
    I'm not gonna play with this one till I get an exchange since I don't want to mess it up. This whole windows 8 crap is so confusing! I couldn't find the shut down button, I had to hold the power key till it turned off. Thanks for the BIOS tip, hopefully increasing the igpu's memory will make it perform better.

Did you get a free copy of an antivirus? The sales associate had me choose one from the wall. I chose Kaspersky Internet Security. Too bad I can't use it since this thing has no disk drive. The $629 toshiba [15.6", 1080p, i5] had a disk drive and it is thinner by 0.1mm than our asus.

Also, how do I get the $25 gift card? Is it through microsoft only or what? The guy at BestBuy didn't give me a giftcard or anything like it.

I was about to get the geek squad certified, but they wouldn't give me any discount on it whatsoever.

8. BubbaRob

Reputations:
    Windows 8 takes some getting used to no doubt. I did not get any antivirus, just 6 months of free ASUS cloud storage via some sort of gift card. I have not opened it yet. I'll need to look into this...hmmmmmm. I want to make sure I keep the laptop first. I believe I saw the Toshiba on display but It didn't appear to be an IPS display so they viewing angles weren't real good, assuming it's the same one you saw as they did have a few.

I'm not sure about the gift card, I'll have to look into it. I didn't do an in-store pickup, I went and got it in person. I'm into the tweaking of laptops and Windows so I prefer the Geek Squad doesn't touch my laptop but I do realize not everyone has that ability or time to spend doing so. My touchpad is raised on the left side but it still functions well. Hopefully you'll get a better one on exchange.

9. PinoyBoy

Reputations:
    @bubbaRob
    If you do drop by Best Buy, here are other things you should look into since it looks like you missed out on some free things. I also bought the laptop in the store. When I do my exchange, I'm gonna ask about the gift card and the cloud storage.

You should be eligible for free 6 months unlimited cloud storge
    also free $25 microsoft gift card
    and a 1 year antivirus under $50. I suggest 2014 kaspersky internet security over the webroot or trendmicro they offer.

Update with my laptop:

So I got my laptop exchanged and got a good replacement. The only thing I noticed different with the replacement is that the USB and HDMI connections looks to be a few millimeter too far in the unit. Hopefully these overly recessed connection ports won't cause me any problems in the future. I'll have to wait and test out various external connections to see if it poses a problem or not.

Update with the supposedly free promotional items/services

They told me the 6 months free unlimited Pogo cloud storage service is only eligible for those who bought the laptop online. I call BS since a different BestBuy told me a different answer, "the promotion showed on the website should be applicable for in-store purchase." Then again, I don't really care since I rarely use cloud storage anyways, and if I do, I use dropbox or live.

The free 1 year anti virus is good and is pretty much mandatory for them to give this freebie to the customers. They sent me an email with a kaspersky product key. I don't know if it is the same as the one in the physical box they gave me, but if it is different, then yay for me.

The MicroSoft gift card issue is still going on. When I went to the store, BB told me my laptop qualifies for it but they refuse to give me a microsoft store gift card. The customer service manager told me the promotion has ended yesterday. I then told him that I bought the laptop yesterday. Then he changed his story stating that it is a one day offer provided by MS. I informed him that this is a new and on-going promotion that will end January 2014. He then had me call a MicroSoft 1800 number, but MS told me that BestBuy is supposed to give me either an actual card or a coupon for online use. I called BestBuy after calling MS, but then the BB store manager still refuse to give me the $25 MS GC and he said he has to call another store and a MS representative to verify. Hopefully this gets resolved since I have my eyes on a few things on the MS app store.

I have a feeling my local BestBuy is either incompetent or just doesn't want to give away the freebies my product is eligible for.

10. BubbaRob

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update. The card they gave me was in fact the Pogo cloud storage for 6 months, but I didn't purchase it online so I'm not sure why I got this. On the other hand, they never offered me any sort of Anti-virus software or an MS card so I'll call the manager and see what's up.

**UPDATE** Spoke with a nice manager and he said indeed an MS Store $25 card should have been included with my purchase and he suspects that the computer system couldn't "stack" both offers and offered to take off $25 of the purchase price instead. The promotion ends on December 28th or while supplies last according to MS. He also offered me the anti-virus software. I agreed and all is well. FYI for those who might purchase this laptop, you'll probably have to remind the sales person of these items at checkout.

Rob

PinoyBoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.