1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus Model: Q501LA-BBI5T03

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ironmike86, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ironmike86

ironmike86 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know anything about Asus 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive Q501LA-BBI5T03 - Best Buy ?
    I went to Bestbuy to look at the Sony Vaio Fit. For my needs it specs right. But I noticed it sucked on the web. I was messing with Asus Ultrabook 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive UX31A-BHI5T11 - Best Buy. It was fast and look kick as. But the ssd drive may not be enough? I read the Sony Fit has web connect problems also? But when i saw the other Asus it seems like a better buy bt can't find any info?? Worth the try? Or wait? Need one in a month. Also just going to be home use so doesn't need to be ultra but do want it small.Unless theres other options hi res under $900? Tia

2. ComradeNF

ComradeNF Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I noticed this unit as well. Looks like an extremely good unit. If someone posted some battery life numbers and I can get around 6 hours with standard use I'd probably pick one up.

3. palakp

palakp Newbie

Reputations:
  4. pappy35

pappy35 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently bought one and despite pining to get an N550JV I decided that the 501 suits me perfectly. It's very thin and fairly light. Two things really stand out about it for me so far:

First is the IPS fullHD screen. This is actually what attracted me to it initally. Having it now for a couple of weeks I would NEVER get anything other than IPS. The viewing angles are incredible and it's very bright and clear.

Second is battery life. This weekend I got on a Netflix kick (getting spooled-up for Breaking Bad's finale start this weekend) and watched all 8 5th season episodes in two sittings of four hours each. Unplugged, at about full volumn (audio is not very loud as the speakers are on the bottom edges) and half screen brightness, it used about 45% of a full charge through each evening sitting. While battery life is very subjective, I am extremely pleased as my last laptop MIGHT last 2 hours unplugged. I use it all the time now and only plug it in to recharge overnight.

Couple of things I don't like, which are probably nit-picks are: no dedicated volumn buttons, and, worst of all, the power button is the extreme upper right keyboard key. I had to diable it as I kept pushing it inavertently and shutting it down. Asus should have provided an option or made it a long keypress to ensure a deliberate shutdown is commanded. The lack of a CD drive is paid for in the unit's slim profile. I bought an external drive and don't miss having one built-in as much as I thought I would. Finally, the black anodized, brushed aluminum, finish on the cover is a fingerprint/smudge magnet so if you're anal in that regard you find that irritating. It's definitly not a gaming machine either so if that's your goal look elsewhere.

Very nice laptop for general web surfing and productivity tasks with great battery life. Seems like a very good value for $750.

5. pappy35

Reputations:
  6. pappy35

Reputations:
    The Acer's screen isn't fullHD and isn't an IPS panel, the i7-4500U is actually a dual-core processor whose performance isn't that much better than the Q501's i5, and it is more expensive and the build-quality feels cheaper than the Q501.

7. ComradeNF

Reputations:
    2 hours o_O? Is that a mistype? Haha.

Wow, that is pretty insane. If the battery life is truly that great while streaming video this might be the laptop for me. All I will be doing is some very basic CAD work for my upper division college classes, and I don't really play games. Think I might pick this up when I am back in the United States.

I don't know why this laptop isn't getting any love. Seriously it seems like the perfect package.

8. ComradeNF

Reputations:
    By the way could you maybe post a video of the laptop on YouTube? Even if it is like a minute long that would be great!

Oh, and is the HDD bay easily accessible? I'm going to toss a Crucial M4 in there the first day I get it.

9. ironmike86

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies. The screen is what caught my eye, Its for my wife anyways.I have a gaming machine. For the $$ it looks pretty good. How the response time?? I think as long as she can navigate the internet find I will same $$ by not putting in a ssd. My lap tops were always 1920x1080. Was kinda hard to like anything less.

10. pappy35

Reputations:
    Comes up from a cold boot in in 30-40 seconds. From sleep in 5-10 seconds. Unless you have the metabolism of a hummingbird, it's plenty fast enough for anything other than gaming. For me it's all about how nice the screen is and the battery life. Both of which are exceptional for my needs and uses.

Update: Decided to actually measure the boot time to the log in screen. Cold boot, 16 seconds, sleep 3 seconds. These times are from power button push or lid opening. That's pretty damn speedy. Of course my last laptop was a Pentium-powered Compaq CQ62 so these times may just be normal to anyone used to a better machine.

11. GloStiX

GloStiX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Was hopin for smaller/lighter w/similar specs but man... bigger screen = more bootiful images, might just be worth it.

For those who have one already: is it heavy?

12. pappy35

Reputations:
    5.1 pounds according to Best Buy. Thing is it's very thin (less than one inch) and so while it's not heavy per se it feels "dense". It's very MacbookProish if you know what I mean. Feels very solid.

13. GloStiX

Reputations:
    ^Yeah I'll hit up BB tomorrow to check it out.

Only question is: is it worth it to buy NOW, or do you guys think the price will drop more for Back2School season, or may BB package something like "100$ GC with all Windows 8 laptops" etc. (made that up)?

I'm a student, this laptop seems perfect but I'm trying to get it as cheap as possible.

14. ironmike86

Reputations:
    Thanks. The first # made me think slooowwww. But the actual # look pretty good. To me its the screen also. But if it was to slow I could add a sdd drive. But seems fast enough not to. Thanks.

15. ironmike86

Reputations:
    Thats what I hope for Back to school or something.But doubt it??? I believe they will credit you the difference? I know if they do it within 15 day you can just return it if they don't and get another....But for me its going to be a travel in the house laptop. A student may want something smaller?? The picture is really nice

16. ironmike86

Reputations:
    another question. Is the fan noise very loud?

17. pappy35

Reputations:
    Fan is barely perceptible and hardly ever comes on. It stays very cool. It does get warm on the bottom back edge but I don't ever feel it.

18. ComradeNF

Reputations:
    pappy35, do you think you could post a video of the unit on Youtube? I'd absolutely love you if you could do that, I really want to see this unit! Unfortunately I won't be back from my business trip until next weekend so I can't look at the unit myself!

19. GloStiX

Reputations:
    Fondled it at BB for a while, here are my imprexxns:

*Not that heavy.
    I am using an ASUS U46E (14"), which is listed ~4.5lb., and this is supposed to be heavier, but didn't feel that way. Maybe because of the larger size, my brain didn't feel like it was "especially heavy".

*Highly disappointed w/the hyped IPS display.
    It isn't especially bright and the colors aren't especially vivid. Also, it's glossy, with lotsa glare. I wish I could say I have high standards, but I have only owned budget-tier crappy 1366x768 displays in the past. The screen on the Toshiba P55 on display near this model @ BB was much better than this one, for instance.

*Yes, smudge-magnet.
    All surfaces will smudge.

*Man this thing is DEEP.
    When I placed my hands on the keyboard, I wasn't used to the space between the ends of my fingers and the edge of the screen, because this is 15.6" I guess, I'm not used to the sheer depth/size of it. I really wanted this but as a student, for portability reasons, I think I'll have to reconsider, get something smaller.

20. ironmike86

Reputations:
    I agree for student if you need to travel with it I would look at something 13-14" .But imo I compared this Asus screen next to all the Acer next to it with 1366x768 and the Sony fit with 1600 res. The screen was alot of nicer imo. The smudge won't bother me I have a few Asus laptops. They get wiped down all the time anyway.Takes longer to boot up then to wipe them down . Its just hard to find something nice under $700.If someone does let me know I will put that on my short list. If i went with a $1500 I could find something easy JMO