Asus Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by wall_street, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wall_street

wall_street Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So after 4 years my Toshiba x205 finally died (Both graphic card). so i am in the market for a new laptop. however since i am buying this in Saudi Arabia, there isn't much choose available. Buy from the states is out of question, since the custom charges as well the shipping charges would be too much.

I have narrowed my search down to these two Asus Laptop with the following Specification:

Asus G73jh

Intel Core i7-740Q 1.73GHz with Max Turbo 2.93GHz
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM
    1140GB HDD 5400rpm (640GB+500GB)
    ATI Radeon HD5870 with 1GB Memory DDR5
    17.3" TruBrite® HD TFT with LED Backlighting
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Camera + MIC integrated
    Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
    Windows 7 home premium

Asus N53SN-SX199V

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM
    4GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
    640GB 5400rpm
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM
    15.6" 16:9 HD Color Shine LED
    Super-Multi DVD
    Camera + MIC integrated
    Built-in Bluetooth™ V3.0
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I have always used Nvidia Graphic cards, but after reading some reviews about the ati 5870, i might consider getting it. The only thing that's not pushing me to get the Asus g73 is, people had overheating problems [I dont want another Laptop which has might die because of heating problems). Have these issues have been resolved or not? Between these two, which would be better for an person who occasionally games now and then (MW2, L4D 2, Crysis1 [maybe with a better laptop, crysis 2], Black Ops, Minecraft etc) ? Which of these would have a better lifespan?
    The price difference between the two is not much and in both case i will buy extended warranty.

2. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Either of those laptops can play Crysis2, but the 5870 will be better at it. From what I've read on the forums, the G73JH isn't a laptop that overheats by design, but some folks got a few that apparently had poorly applied thermal paste (happens a lot to a lot of different manufacturers) or other heating problems. Now that all the niggling little BIOS bugs have long since been worked out, the G73JH would be a pretty good choice.

I too have preferred NVidia in the past, but nowadays it seems ATI has been doing VERY well in the mobile performance arena.

3. wall_street

Reputations:
    Alright then, guess im going to be joining G73 club. Lets hope i dont get thermal paste problem.

4. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

Reputations:
  5. wall_street

Reputations:
    I know there better options, but like i said before importing it into saudi arabia will be to much. A $1200 laptop would cost me $1900 after duty and delivery. These two Asus are the best available locally.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Any interest in the G74, the updated G73? I just looked at it today, and keyboard quality was far, far, FAR better than the G73 (my biggest gripe about the G73). In general, build quality seemed to be better and more solid than the G73 (Best Buy had a new G74 on display and a G73 on clearance, so I got to compare them side-by-side). I was actually quite smitten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.