Asus K42JV/A42JV Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by kizwan, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Welcome to Asus K42JV/A42JV Owners Lounge!
    [​IMG]Hardware Specification:-
    - Intel Core i5-450M @ 2.4GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.66GHz, 3MB cache (also available with other Intel Core i3 & i5 processors)
    - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (up to Windows 7 Ultimate)
    - Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
    - 2GB DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket for expansion up to 8GB SDRAM
    - 14" HD (1366x768) LED backlit
    - Intel HD, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT335M 1GB DDR3 VRAM (Optimus Technology)
    - 500GB 5400rpm (also available with 7200RPM)
    - DVD Super Multi
    - Support SD,MMC card reader
    - VGA web camera (Fixed type)
    - Integrated 802.11 b/g/n Atheros AR9285
    - Built-in speaker and microphone, Altec Lansing® speakers, SRS Premium Sound (Realtek ALC269)
    - 6 cells battery: 4400 mAh 48 Whrs
    - AC Adapter: Output 19 V DC, 4.74 A, 90W, Input 100-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
    - Dimension & weight: 34.9 x 23.8 x 3.65 cm (W x D x H), 2.2 kg (with 6 cell battery)
    - 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
    - 3 x USB 2.0 ports
    - 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    - 1 x HDMI
    - 1 x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo jack
    Notebook specification, especially the CPU, varied across different specific/sub model. Notebook specification in this post is for Asus AS-A42JV-VX042V. It come with Nvidia Optimus technology. Both K42JV & A42JV notebook are identical. K42JV is for European market while A42JV is for Asian market. Battery usage between 2 to 3 hours. Seamless graphics switching between Intel HD & Nvidia GeForce GT 335M, thanks to Optimus Technology.
    • Asus K42JV notebook specification:-
      [​IMG]
    • Asus A42JV notebook specification:-
      [​IMG]

DPC Latency Check (video)[/font]
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qnOlxtxiCYc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qnOlxtxiCYc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width='640' height="390">​
    * Sorry. The video quality is poor. This is my first youtube video.

Benchmarks
    1. 3DMark06 score with stock Windows 7 Home Premium.
      - Standard resolution 1280x768
      - Default settings
      - Stock drivers
      - Standard resolution 1280x768
      - Default settings
      - Nvidia 258.96 driver
      - Overclocked: Core Clock 550MHz, Shader Clock 1320MHz, Memory Clock 900MHz
      [​IMG][​IMG]
    2. Devil May Cry 4 Benchmarks with Nvidia 258.96 driver.
      - Default settings
      - DirectX 9
      [​IMG]
      - DirectX 10
      [​IMG]
    3. 3DMark Vantage Score: Entry Preset
      - Overclocked: Core Clock 500MHz, Shader Clock 1200MHz & Memory Clock 830MHz
      [​IMG]
    4. 3DMark Vantage Score: Performance Preset
      - Overclocked: Core Clock 500MHz, Shader Clock 1200MHz & Memory Clock 830MHz
      [​IMG]

Overclocks
    • SetFSB: Clock Generator (PLL) is ICS9LPRS365BGLF. Source here. Confirmation here.
    • Credit to lee_what2004 at forum dot lowyat dot net:-

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    (reserved for BIOS & drivers news/update)

3. damian5000

damian5000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sawat dee...

Think it's just you and me bud.

4. jlleet

jlleet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, how is the webcam on this thing? It says its 0.3 mega pixels which seems awfully low.

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Yes, it is low. I'm not using it much except for face-recognition login feature. This is one thing I never pay attention much when buying notebook computer. It work on YM video conference. People on the other side can see me, so it is ok for me. Not that I want to use it for recording or anything. :)

Yes but you're selling it already. :) I think most people (for gaming & multimedia) will go with N or G series when buying Asus notebook. Actually there are not much of difference between all Asus notebook series. Of course G series will have mid to high-stream graphic card & U series will have optional 8 cell battery. The lack of e-sata, firewire & express card slot on this notebook prevent people from buying this laptop. I will not bought this notebook if this is my first new notebook. I already have entertainment notebook, Dell Studio 1557, with all features I want. I bought it earlier this year. It only lack of games performances. I can play demanding games on it, thanks to GDDR3, but on some games I need to lower down the settings for me to play "comfortably". :) This is where Asus K42JV notebook come in. It have Nvidia GT335M which is a mid-stream graphic card, which is the only reason why I bought it. Also, I like the design very much. I don't want to buy G series notebook because it will only make my Dell Studio seems too outdated (or useless). You see my dilemma here. :)

6. damian5000

Reputations:
    I'm only half heartedly selling it.

I actually haven't had any issues with it. Screen is slightly above par. The GPU plays any game I've thrown at it. Speakers are okay, not great, but they're loud enough to watch a movie with VLC boost. Battery life is not great. Not because of the 6 cells, but because of the 4400mah.

My biggest issue is I wish I'd kept the A42JV that came with 2GB free. It's not bad, but the A42JV is slicker looking IMO. I thought the A42 had a charging problem, but neither I nor the Thai salesmen knew that the battery won't charge unless it's less than 95% full. They didn't have any more A42 in stock, which lead to the K42 which didn't come with the extra 2GB, and is less slick looking.

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I didn't know that. Do Asus supply 6 cell battery with better capacity for this notebook? Can we use 3rd party battery? Instead 4400mah, what is the right capacity for 6 cell battery? There are shops who provide battery customization service but I don't know which brand is good.
    Mine is A42JV but the motherboard (and everything else) is actually labeled as K42JV. No problem since both actually the same. About the battery, do you think the behavior is to prolonged the battery life? Does your battery decrease from 100% to 95% (maybe slowly - 99%, 98%, 97%, etc) while the notebook using external power supply?

BTW, I have USB Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 headphone I bought two years ago & I haven't use it for a long time. It still work & perfect with this notebook if I want to chat while playing games (especially Life 4 Dead 2 :D ). But my SonicGear HP800 headphone (jack) produced better audio. It will be perfect when watching movies.

8. damian5000

Reputations:
    sawat dee,

Yes, I don't even know why they made the K42 case. The A42 case looks much better IMO. They don't sell the A42 case in America (I got mine at Panthip BKK) which I think was a big mistake. It would of been more popular otherwise.

There exists 6 cell 6600mah batteries, but I don't think they make them for our laptops :(

It's strange because the battery in the Acer 4820TG lasts 5 hours with light use and integrated graphics and that is 4400mah also... But that was the i3 model. I don't know about 4820TG i5.

Either Asus is giving us a cheap battery or Acer is using very high quality batteries, or our notebook just uses more power to run it.

Yes, that happens with batteries even if you're not using it, it will slowly lose it's charge. Like 1% or so every day or 2. Something like that.

9. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    No, the 4820TG is using 6000mAh battery for 6 cell .and 9000mAh for 9cell...

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Today I have time to overclock Bus Speed with SetFSB. Windows freezed one time when I tried to overclock it too much (address 0xF = D5). :D No biggie. I believe I can achieve 3GHz on this machine. :D

Overclock Bus Speed with SetFSB
    Bus Speed = 133MHz (Default)
    [​IMG]
    Bus Speed = 145.1MHz
    [​IMG]
    Bus Speed = 148MHz
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.