Asus horror story...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by theoak1, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoak1

theoak1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a "black screen" 2 weeks after my G1S went off warranty in August 2009. I called Asus and they advised me to send it in. They sent it back a week later and said they replaced the motherboard.
    About 3 months after I got the laptop back I started getting green lines, then red squares, then a black screen again upon boot up. I called Asus again and got a customer service rep that acted like a robot. Every time I tried to explain the problem to her she said "I'm sorry sir, you're past the 90 day repair warranty". I was told that I would have to pay to ship the laptop to Asus at which time they would give me an estimate on the repair cost. I told the customer service rep about the 8600M GT issues, and she again said "I'm sorry sir, you're past the 90 day repair warranty.
    I asked to be transferred to a manager, and after waiting 15 minutes I talked to a woman named "Jazz" (she refused to give me her full name). Jazz again reiterated the company policy however she said they would consider my case and call or e-mail me in 2 days. 10+ days later I haven't heard anything, and now I have been out of a computer for a over a month.
    I used to be a loyal Dell customer for 10+ years until I purchased the G1S. I was very happy with the G1S until it died shortly after going off warranty. I was especially disappointed in the way Asus treated me considering the known issues with the 8600M GT. I will never buy another Asus again and I recommend that others avoid their products as well.

2. _bare

_bare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is unfortunate; however, you must be persistent, albeit respectful, and it will pay off. Call them, repeatedly, until you get a RMA number and after that continue to call and check up on the status when it reaches the repair facility.

It will pay off, they do know about it but it is cheaper to deny rather than offer a replacement or fix it, such is business.
    See this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=407457

Edit: I received my new G50 in the mail before I ever got an email with a tracking number; do not rely on emails or them calling you.

3. theoak1

Reputations:
    I tried to rationalize with the customer service rep, explaining that it would cost me $50 to ship to them + the repair costs + return shipping. My guesstimate on repair costs is $300 - $500. The customer service rep said she has never heard of any problems with the GPU on the G1S, and that if I decide I don't want the repair because it's too expensive I would still have to pay for return shipping. So I would pay $100+ for someone to tell me my 8600M GT is dead? It seems like it's not worth paying for a repair even though I paid $2,500 for the G1S in August 2007.

4. _bare

_bare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Admittedly, it is a gamble but if you send it in they wont have parts for it so more than likely they will offer you the G50; however, if you arent interested in paying for that I wouldnt bother but they give it to you cheaper then list price.

All experiences will vary, but Id just keep calling. I talked to some silly reps initially as well.

Edit: I was not charged return shipping. And realistically the costs to repair would not be 300-500; the laptop they will offer you isnt even that much.

5. p51mustang23

p51mustang23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Technicly they don't have to/shouldn't replace your system. It *is* out of warranty.

However you may have luck being persistent, as they want your future business. Sometimes all you have to do is get in touch with the right service rep (certainly not ms. robot :p).

6. theoak1

Reputations:
    If it was out of warranty, and it was a random problem I can understand that. However when a G1S has a black screen 2 weeks out of warranty, and with the rampant 8600M problems, I just can't understand how a Asus can play dumb and say "I'm sorry sir, you're off warranty".

I had 3 Dell laptops that NEVER died, with each one lasting 4+ years. The only reason I retired my Dells is that they were out of date and the keyboard/touch pads started wearing out because I used them so much.

If that is Asus' attitude, then I'll take my business elsewhere for my next laptop.

7. superjojo

superjojo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After having two nvidia laptops die on me for the same reason a few days after warranty (one HP and one Dell) I decided never to buy a laptop with anything NVIDIA in it. They just suck at making laptop video cards.

8. theoak1

Reputations:
    I agree, I'll never buy anything with NVIDIA again on principle.

I almost laughed when my G1S got a black screen 2 weeks after going off warranty, and then again within days of going off the 90 day repair warranty.

It wasn't so funny when I realized my G1S was a $2,500 paper weight.

In the future I'm almost considering buying a cheap laptop w/ a good warranty + a desktop for gaming. Gaming laptops are too expensive, too fragile, can't be upgraded, and can't handle heat like a desktop.

9. iclicku

iclicku Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You fail to realize the real issue - the fact you DIDN'T buy a warranty in the first place. Just because you spent more money doesn't mean that it will last longer with respect to electronics. It usually means its just faster components. While I do sympathize with you about your problems with the laptop, I do think you should have purchased a warranty in the first place. That's what they are for.

I think it's great that ASUS even offered to look at your laptop let alone fix it out of the warranty in the first place. Then they offer another 90 day warranty after the fix. It's unfortunate you have had bad luck, but I can't really find fault on ASUS in this matter.

Just my opinion...

10. Geared2play.com

Geared2play.com Company Representative

Reputations:
    Here is the problem with g1s. This is a problem that can pass some models and not others. The g1s has room for shady workmanship when being worked on. If it is repaired by someone who cares less it will likely fail sooner then later. If repaired properly it would have lasted years not month

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.