Asus GM501 or GL703GS

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by LUCKASS, May 1, 2018.

1. Gnomesley

Gnomesley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I finally got mine about a week ago. So far it's running like a dream. Only one blue screen while I was setting everything up, but nothing since then. The fans are pretty loud at idle, but it's not too bad so I think I'll get used to it. Other than that, this laptop is pretty much perfect for me. The screen is really amazing even compared to my previous laptop (which had a 120 Hz TN panel). When playing GTA V, the CPU and GPU both max out at around 83 C without any undervolt (however, the CPU does clock down to about 3.6 GHz from 3.9 GHz), but with -150 mV on the CPU the temps drop by a few degrees and the CPU reaches max turbo. Those results are with a liquid metal repaste though, so your mileage may vary. I also replaced the SSD that came with the laptop.

Br3adNButt3r likes this.
  2. Br3adNButt3r

Br3adNButt3r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I'm beyond happy that yours is suiting to your needs. Playing any games?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gnomesley likes this.
  3. Gnomesley

Reputations:
    Other than GTA V, mostly just some non-demanding games so far. Even in those games, the high refresh rate and g-sync really make a difference.

Br3adNButt3r likes this.
  4. Br3adNButt3r

Br3adNButt3r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice!! I play Fortnite, Black Squad, and H1Z1 all of these are free. If you jump on any let me know. I'll add you on discord and steam

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gnomesley likes this.
  5. mantiyeah

mantiyeah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which metal paste did you try? I thought it would be cooler with metal liquid . Not sure If I should buy it then because I want it to last me 3-4 years and high temperatures may destroy it sooner.

Did you find it easy to repaste it? Any change to spill it if you move it a lor?

6. Gnomesley

Reputations:
    I actually bought mine from HIDevolution, who repasted it for me with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. I would recommend buying it from them if you're worried about repasting (you can also save some money if you don't need the SSD or HDD that come with the laptop and they offer a fairly cheap 32GB RAM upgrade). However, I did take the laptop apart pretty much the moment I got it to take a look. The bottom of the laptop is fairly easy to unscrew (although you have to make sure the HDD mount is unscrewed as well), but a bit tough to separate compared to some other laptops (just had to start from the corners and work my way around). From there, it seems like the heatpipes and fans come off with just a few screws as usual, although I didn't try it. The liquid metal repaste does seem to help quite a bit based on some reviews I've seen, but I can't say by how much exactly. Hope this helps.

mantiyeah likes this.