Asus GL703GS mini review

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by DRevan, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Nyceis

Nyceis Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In case anyone is interested, I'm fairly certain this is a hardware defect. I cannot capture the ghosting with geforce experience, I tried and looked frame by frame to see if it was evident. It is not. Although my unit has a manufacture date of this summer, the screen's manufacturer date is April of 2017.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Agreed, if the panel is defective then it's best to contact the manufacturer directly for warranty service.

3. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Brand new GL703GS with 1070 8GB as well here… same BSOD issue after 10 mins (error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) playing games.
    Nvidia 417.22.

4. hexaae

Reputations:
    From BIOS I selected load default settings… and for the first time I've been able to play a game for more than 15 min without BSODs anymore…. I'll keep you informed.

5. Edbert

Edbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hexaae,

That is good information, I'm hoping it helps, please report back.

FWIW...my issue remains. I have been undervolting to 1.2 and even 1.23, this does help reduce temps, but doesn't have a measurable reduction in the non-stop BSODs. I was wondering if perhaps I have some bad RAM, but have run stress tests on memory and find nothing wrong.

So disappointing. I've owned 12-16 Asus motherboards, mabye 6-8 video cards, a router, a modem/firewall too. This is my first ever Asus laptop, and it will be my last, possibly last Asus product ever I'm so pissed off.

6. hexaae

Reputations:
    Yep, I understand. I come from my first gaming laptop and desktop replacement (I think I'll never go back to desktop PCs) MSI GX660 upgraded with 7970m etc., then ASUS G751JY and now ASUS GL703GS. These are VERY expensive rigs so I perfectly understand your irritation for something supposed to be "near perfection" and finding instead new troubles… :(
    I think I'd say the same, if that BIOS reset didn't fix the situation, as it seems for now….

7. Edbert

Reputations:
    One of the first things I did when I got home, reset to default, saved and booted.

Loaded a game, then sat in the lobby without entering a match and went to get a beverage. Came back and the unit had rebooted. Total run time less than 5 minutes, and without actually playing (low stress) a game. I am using the laptop now to type this, when running browsers, streaming aud/vid, and running Office apps it is relatively stable. But I've had a BSOD with only one browser tab and no other apps open.

8. hexaae

Reputations:
  9. hexaae

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  10. Edbert

Reputations:
    Agreed, I just have a lemon, and it is the second 703GS to behave that way. Reseller refused to exchange mine saying they already did it once. I could send it in to Asus but they hold them for 4-6 months and say there's nothing wrong with it.