Asus GL703 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jun 26, 2018.

1. ukheather

ukheather Newbie

Reputations:
    New owner of a GL703GM laptop

Anyone know any hardware monitoring software that actually shows the GL703GM fan speed as HWmonitor, openhardwaremonitor and speccy don't see the fans at all.

2. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GL703GS-E5012T here...

(Serious) Issues (reproducible after very first boot + Steam installed):
    1. USB (all ports) disconnecting on heavy file copy (20+GB) from external USB 3.x drive to local drives (tried both SSHD and M.2). Common issue.
    2. sudden freezes/BSODs while gaming for 10-20mins (can't go past the snowed mountains intro in Raise of the Tomb Raider for example). CPU temp 88-92°C, GPU <80°C so nothing critical. This is uncommon issue.
    3. some users reported inverse ghosting with display panel AUO B173HAN03.2 [AUO329D] (still have to check mine). Also with G-Sync OFF. Common issue? See #33
    These issues are reproducible after very first boot + Steam installed only, and even after all updates (including manual Samsung P961 driver 3.x update). Reproduced both on Win10 1803 and even after forcing upgrade to 1809.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. hexaae

Reputations:
    Bug n.3 confirmed on mine too (reproduced with No Man's Sky, 60fps, also if you set G-Sync OFF):

This expensive gaming laptop is a disaster!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. hexaae

Reputations:
    Can others test bugs 1, 2, 3 on their GL703G?

5. hexaae

Reputations:
    Bug n.1 (copying files from external USB 3.x high-speed drive to disks):

It hangs at 6% while copying and disconnects all USB devices including mouse and keyboard that stop working.
    Seems to happen only with USB3.x external drives, no problem with slow USB 2.0 devices.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Gnomesley

Gnomesley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @hexaae
    I haven't experienced bugs 1 or 2 personally (maybe I just got lucky). As for the ghosting, it's definitely there, but it's only noticeable for me on green backgrounds/objects. It's also way, way worse at 60 fps than at 120+ fps, so I don't really mind since I'm the kind of person to play at lower settings to get the highest possible framerate. It's disappointing in a high-end laptop, but I can live with it since I love the rest of the laptop. I'm sure that if I had the other issues I wouldn't be so forgiving.

7. hexaae

Reputations: