ASUS GL702VM - overheating issues - safe to buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by juanpablito, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    You didn't read or understand what I said. Why do you think they're throwing their GPUs into the oven to begin with?

sicily428 and don_svetlio like this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because solder points crack or break due to heat. hence why they "re-flow the solder" via heat.

sicily428 and TBoneSan like this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To fix the GPU, which cannot handle as much heat as other components.

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You literally just claimed the exact opposite in post #75 .... sigh, this is basically trolling.

TBoneSan likes this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    or poor memory or simply says at w/e he thought of at the moment.

@Danishblunt no asus is not safe to buy because u know its asus and their business practice is crap. not to mention bga soldered junk YUUCK. not really asking your opinion btw im just telling you my view on asus having owned better asus laptops in the past and still no go.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I don't have an issue with BGA, for the average consumer BGA is completely fine. Personally I wouldn't want a BGA only system, but I'm not the average consumer.

I do have to agree tho, Asus's business practice is really terrible. They won't support their customers and don't really care mostly. I remember a 2013 model which had a USB problem and a sound issue where the sound would only come from the subwoofer, 2017, stil no fix. They legit don't care.

7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the issue you are pointing out are average with any OEMs. to continue support an old product isnt good for business so they simply wont do it. honestly in that regards i think dell alienware actually is decent compare to most companies out there.

i got beef with BGA, no go period. i refuse to pay more for less, no way

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    No, driver support and listening to their communities has nothing to do with OEM's. If you can't give support to your stuff, no matter the age, then you don't care about your cusomters. Also Alienware have also made very questionable design choices. I remember when they placed a HDD slot right next to the graphicscard slot, while breaking harddrives because of overheat, or refusing to replace a panel because it didn't have enough dead pixels. The best support so far is actually from MSI and clevo resellers.

Also you got beef with BGA and yet you have a stock Alienware system.... I don't know how to take that.

9. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sometimes BGA is nessesary. Those who game frequently away from home and carry their laptop around a lot, who wants to carry around a clunk box? I only call them clunk boxes because every single notebook that isn't BGA looks and feels clunky as hell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Danishblunt and hmscott like this.
  10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Can't argue with that. Even tho I love my P157SM, it's really clunky. There are a lot of people out there who would rather want something thin, but for some reason some people here have way to big of an ego to actually put themselves in other peoples shoes, because apparently their opinion is how the world has to work.

I do however have a problem with manufacturers putting highend hardware into thin notebooks and letting them heat up to the point where they throttle, that's just an ass move.

jrwingate6 and hmscott like this.