ASUS GL702VM - overheating issues - safe to buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by juanpablito, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I feel like sometimes, the laptop community puts too much into stress tests.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

juanpablito likes this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's the same with those weird folks who have some weird sense that notebooks with a BGA CPU's and/or BGA GPU's on a Mainboard are inherently evil.

Honestly stresstests are a good pointer if the system should ever throttle in extreme scenarios, but some here threat throttling in stresstests like the system will always throttle the moment you just start a browser. I think it's simply people being eliteists and basicially losing sight of what's real and what's not. I think the best thing is to simply not pay attention to those kind of folk.

However, I think the GL702VM might be a bit to bad when it comes to cooling, sure the hardware won't die, but I doubt in games like witcher you get 100% performance. I'm pretty sure you will lose 5-10% over time, which depending on the person might be annoying to deal with.

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    It depends. Stress tests that get really bad temps are going to reflect as poor temps in game unless you're using like VSync or something.

And systems temps constantly in the 90s can lower your hardwares life span especially as it starts to climb. Not to mention thermal throttling will lower performance. The point is why risk all that when there are alternatives on the market like a P670 or something that won't do that.

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't bother explaining. I already tried. He thinks running a system at 95*C doesn't affect lifespan at all.

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    That's the thing. Pascal GPU's start to throttle at 85s and CPU's start to throttle at 100, both will throttle and in extreme cases turn themselves off before actually reaching a temperature which will shorten it's lifespan. Modern GPU's and especially CPU's cannot die to heat anymore, that's why overclocking these days is so easy and safe compared to back in the days, both Nvidia and AMD have learned from their mistakes years ago (first keplers, AMD 6xxx, 7xxx series). Look no further than the GTX 880M, that card runs permanently on 93c and you never hear anything about the card dying, despite having a LOT of driver and throttling issues, due to bad overclock, which has been fixed by SLV7.

Shortening hardware's lifespan due to high heat output is not a thing anymore, it's old news. That's also the reason why there are so many notebooks out there with so high temps, because the hardware nowadays can actually take it. Bak then a GPU would mostly die due to the fact that the solderballs in the GPU would melt over time getting damaged etc, normally lead solder would melt at around 180c, but due to the balls being only 0.1mm thick, they can get affected by lower heat output over time, nowadays both AMD and Nvidia are using lead free solder which have a melting point of 220c, even on 0.1mm thickness, they are way more sturdy. So saying that the hardware lifespan will get shortened over time is simply not really a thing anymore, it's a relic of the past.

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Hm... I don't have time right now for a long response, but generally heat is inherently bad. Electrons will behave unexpectedly quicker in the silicon the hotter it gets, it's not just about solder or throttling. Generally yes things seem to get a little warmer these days without harm, but that doesnt mean it's something to strive for... And I have seen 880ms and 980ms fail, but it's hard to always know the cause. Heat also expands and contracts surrounding electronics which generally isn't great.

Why settle when there are other similar options that offer better temps and OC headroom?

don_svetlio and sicily428 like this.
  7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Never said you should settle for it, just saying that heat won't kill hardware as easily as people make it out to be. I honestly would always prefer a cool notebook than something that runs hot, but that doesn't mean that things that don't have optimal temp are inherently garbage.

8. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    It's not just the GPU and CPU. It's the other components it roasts too along with the extreme heat cycles that all help cracking internal traces.

don_svetlio and sicily428 like this.
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    people shove entire mainboards and GPU's to "bakefix" them and they're still running. I doubt you'll get the temps high enough to kill components.

10. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Baking components usually results in at most 6 more months of use before the whole PCB becomes junk. Really, you need better arguments.

sicily428 likes this.