ASUS GL702VM - overheating issues - safe to buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by juanpablito, Aug 15, 2017.

1. juanpablito

juanpablito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

Want to pull the trigger on the Asus gl702vm but been reading some nasty overheating issues. Apparently(!) a new bios stops all frame drops and lowers Temps to mid 80s. Undervolting cpu and gpu will supposedly bring it down towards 70ish degrees.

Does anyone have any experience with these laptops? Are they safe to buy? It feels a bit iffy/offputting that there are thermal issues off the bat. At the same time, MSI laptops with similar specs also have 80s temperature (albeit without bios update). Clevos and other beefier laptops are off the table for me(not due to size, but local availability); and I've yet to find anything in the same price range as the gl702vm with 1060 120hz and g sync.

Any input, suggestions, help, or on hands experience with the gl702vm?

My only other option would be to buy a multimedia laptop with a 1050ti or the cheaper Lenovo legion w/1060 but no 120hz+gsync.

Cheers!

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Where? Budget?

3. juanpablito

Reputations:
    Sweden/Norway(checked prices in norway too, bout the same)
    Budget is around 2050 USD (of which MSI GE72VR costs the same as the ASUS, but the 1060 is only 3gb vs asus; 6gb and WITHOUT gsync)
    2050 ish is the price of most laptops with similar specs (apart from clevos which for a multitude of reasons i cant buy)

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  5. juanpablito

Reputations:
    so i guess the gl702vm wins then; if they both are prone to throttling.
    Do you see it as a problem though?
    I could choose these too:

Lenovo legion y520 (1060 3gb Max q, no g-sync, no 120hz, i5-7300 and 15 incher)
    Price: 1254 USD

Lenovo legion y720 (1060 6gb, no g-sync, no 120hz, i5-7300 and 15 incher)
    Price: 1755 USD

17" g-sync and 120hz was my initial "requirements" for a laptop, but im willing to go down on all of them if the legions are a better choice.
    heck; id even buy the FX502VM for 1127 USD. But for these alternatives im basically telling myself; no, you aint having a sweet gaming laptop this time.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    1060 MQ is horrible. It's 20% weaker than the normal 1060 and barely 20% ahead of the 1050 Ti. Avoid Max-Q if you want proper performance.

Y720 is good if you want battery life (6 hours vs 4 hours on the 702VM) but the screen on the VM is MUCH better. Cooling on the Y720 should be quieter and temps should settle around 85*C

FX502 has a horrible TN panel - do not buy.

7. juanpablito

Reputations:
    so in essence;

y720 = better battery life, nothing else. Temps are similar?
    702vm = better everything, worse battery life. Similar temps?

I do not really care much about battery life, as its a desktop replacement i wish buying a desktop would be an option, but its not; apart from maybe the asus rog gr8 II; but then again: that would mean i have to buy a g-sync monitor + peripherals. So costwise and hassle-wise, i might not save much? it looks quite small and narrow too; so maybe it has less-than-optimal thermals as well.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Y720 also has a better keyboard and a more durable bottom chassis.

sicily428 likes this.
  9. juanpablito

Reputations:
    is it enough to tip one over from the gl702vm though?
    I mean we agree the temps are basically the same right?
    The gl702 has a better screen, 120hz, g-sync, but less battery; worse keyboard and a worse bottom chassis.

Considering long battery life is less of an issue, keyboard might(!) be subjective; we are left with the bottom chassis and a 250 USD difference. enough to consider the lenovo instead of the asus?

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    With such a large price difference - I'd get whichever is cheaper. I mean, if you need the 120Hz refresh rate and G-sync alongside high brightness and colours - the Asus makes a better option.
    But if you need Dolby Atmons (JBL speakers - forgot that) and a more "premium" feel to the device - Y720 is your best bet.

hmscott likes this.