ASUS GL502VS vs. Clevo P750DM2

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Tarun Gupta, Oct 19, 2016.

?

ASUS GL502VS vs. Clevo P750DM2?

1. ASUS

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Clevo

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarun Gupta

Tarun Gupta Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I only have the option of buying one of these laptops. I live in India.
    The prices for these are:
    ASUS GL502VS - 1921 USD (Gears of War 4 Free)
    Clevo P750DM2 - 2296 USD

The specifications are the same for both. The pros and cons that I can think of are:

ASUS Pros:
    - Lighter
    - Cheaper
    ASUS Cons:
    - Not Upgradeable
    - I am unsure about the heating

Clevo Pros:
    - Upgradeable
    - Hoping that cooling would be better
    Clevo Cons:
    - Expensive
    - Heavy

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

I am okay with either of these

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No Preference
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Will be moving it within the house mostly

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I would compare the Clevo P650RS and the Clevo P750DM. The Clevo P650RS has more ram and storage slots and better cooling.

Upgrading laptop compnents are quite expensive, so I always caution people who put that as a pro. The 980m cost 725 bucks new, and there is no assurance it will support the next gpus or cpus (7 series cpus are likely to work though).

Tarun Gupta likes this.
  3. Tarun Gupta

Reputations:
    Howcome 650RS has better cooling than 750DM2. I thought with the bulkier build, 750DM2 would have a better cooling option.

And my choices are limited to these two because the local Clevo manufacturer in my country only has the 750DM2 model and ASUS offers international warranty.
    I don't want to buy any laptop without warranty.

My only concern with ASUS is the heating and how long will it last. I know that even if my Clevo's CPU/GPU fail at some point of time, I can get them replaced, but I can't do that in case of ASUS.

4. Galm

Reputations:
    No no, better than the Asus. The P650RS can have comparative cooling though to the P750DM. The P750DM has a full desktop i7 6700k which is harder to cool than the laptop 6700hq in the Clevo P650 and Asus GL502.

HIDEvolution offers a global warranty on all their models, though I don't know what it costs in your country.

Clevo is definitely better cooled than the Asus. Does your local Clevo seller offer delidded repasting on the cpu?

Tarun Gupta likes this.
  5. Tarun Gupta

Reputations:
    I am in India, so pretty sure HIDEvolution doesn't service here and importing laptops here is a *****.

I am not sure about that.

6. Galm

Reputations:
    I think HID pays for shipping if it needs service. @Phoenix knows better than me he uses them and he's in Dubai while they are based in the U.S.

Tarun Gupta and Spartan like this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    HIDevolution is the best in the world for international customers like me and you because if you opt for the global warranty (not just the standard warranty), then if anything goes wrong, they will ship the part to you for free. If you need to send the entire laptop for service or repairing something major that you cannot do yourself such as a motherboard change, then they will send you one courier guy to your house who will collect the laptop and ship it to them, once the service is complete, they will ship it back to you, all this is covered by them including the shipping costs both ways.

The cost for the global warranty is approximately $200 USD per year.

I went for a 3 year global warranty for my system as it is a big investment.

Please read this:

HIDevolution's Warranty!

Papusan, Tarun Gupta and Galm like this.
  8. Galm

Reputations:
    So that's pretty good is the tl:dr lol, not many places offer service like that anymore.

Tarun Gupta and Spartan like this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    this is one of the biggest selling points for me as an international customer to be honest.

In the past, I was always against ordering anything online especially a laptop because if something goes wrong, where am I to go? I don't wanna pay shipping charges internationally both ways. Then when I found out that HIDevolution offers this, I was relieved, and when I actually did use the warranty, it turned out better than any local warranty I have had before.

Example: When my ASUS brand new laptop wouldn't boot only after 3 weeks, the ASUS service center here in Dubai told me the motherboard is dead and I had to wait for 2 weeks before I got my laptop back. That, and the long trips to their service center were very tiring compared to HIDevolution where they will send you the courier d00d to your place to collect the laptop and their shipping speeds are very fast, 24-48 hours max.

Tarun Gupta likes this.
  10. Tarun Gupta

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the info @Galm17 and @Phoenix . I checked their website and they do offer free two way shipping twice a year.
    But I am still a little skeptical about India, because here dealing with customs is very difficult and you never know when your laptop/replacement part might get stuck with them. I am trying to avoid an out of country warranty service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.