Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Cloudfire, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The heatsink on the M.2 is a good idea.

2. Bartvangils

Bartvangils Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So since a week the temps of the CPU seem to be way higher than normally, before my i7-4860HQ was around 70 degree celcius but since a week its running at 80.
    Also my GTX 980m went from 60 to 70. Anyone here who shares the same experience? And is the temp normal?

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Those temperatures are still within limits, have you tried blowing through some compressed air to see if are getting rapid dust accumulation?

4. Bartvangils

Bartvangils Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I havent done that yet, that might be the issue. Am I allowed to change the cooling paste of the CPU? ( Warranty etc. )

5. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Not really, fiddling with the insides of the cooling system is not a good idea, but if you are having overheating issues, them replacing the thermal paste is under warranty, so get your reseller or ASUS representative to get your laptop back in shape.

6. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Finally recieved my replacement Asus G751JY on March 2nd and finally i could see how the backlight keyboard works. Deleted the stock Windows install for a clean Windows 8.1 Pro one (Yay for phone activation) and so far i'm really impressed by both the performance as well as how quiet it stays while under load.
    Did get some issues with using my external USB 3.o hard drive but a quick bios update to 206 version as well as entering bios to change one thing fixed that.
    Booted up BIOS and set XHCI pre-boot mode to enabled. You can find it under the Advanced tab and then entering USB Configuration.
    While non user upgradable CPU and GPU could be a deal breaker for some i'm okay with it and not having to deal with Optimus is great. :) I'l give it my seal of approval.

Ramzay and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    DEagleson, that's great news :)

On my G750JH the XHCI pre-boot mode defaults to Smart-Auto, what is the default on the G751?

After disabling power save on the laptop hubs via Device Manager and via the WD app for the external drive, I haven't had any issues with transfer rates, disconnections, etc. So I haven't needed to play with the BIOS setting as above.

What was the symptom that you cured with the BIOS change? I might just try Enable myself, and see if there is any change. I wonder why there is a Disable - what needs that?

Glad to hear the laptop is working out for you. The long term effect of not having a replaceable CPU/GPU is nil for most of us. By the time the laptop is ready for an upgrade, there is another Motherboard Chipset, or even a new family of CPU's, so I haven't missed non-upgradeable CPU's since the G2s or upgradeable GPU's

Look at the poor AW 18 guys, they thought they had it made, and then Dell dumps the AW 18 and future upgrades - and the 980m SLI doesn't work - and no more fixes to get it to work.

Leaving Clevo/Sager, pretty cool stuff, but way too expensive.

Asus always comes out on top, price performance, and if you stick with it, you can always work out the bugs too ;)

8. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Smart Auto was the default one for me but it did not play nice with my external hard drive. First it refused to work and after a reboot it would just constantly disconnect.

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    DEagleson, thanks for that, I wasn't having a problem, but set USB XHCI to Enable - and also DISABLE for Legacy USB. No difference, but leaving it there to see if anything I hook up complains.

Glad to hear it fixed your external USB disconnects. :)

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.