Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Cloudfire, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    My Clevo P170HM won't allow me to overclock so the 2960MX is running at stock clocks. Oh how i wish i could adjust that in bios.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can overclock the 2960MX in the HM.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This Guide says that the P170HM BIOS can allow XTU to work in the P150HM, so you might try XTU for CPU tuning on your P170HM :)

[Guide] Upgrading P150HM with 2960XM....and overclocking it! (XTU)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...150hm-with-2960xm-and-overclocking-it.704934/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes the P170HM bios should allow overclocking via XTU without any modifications.

5. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Guys.
    I think about getting an ASUS g751 YT (970M). Lately, news have occured that nvidia ships the new GPUs with a vbios, that locks overclocking .
    Do you have any news, if asus will ship their g series with a locked vbios (that prohibits overclock) ?

6. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    So far, no. However, rumor has it that they've rethink-ed their intent and will allow OCing. Anyway, if you're buying point is the overclockability, then you probably should think of a Clevo desktop replacement better.

7. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    that actually is strange. Because so far, a clevo laptop (sold by schenker germany) has had a locked vbios.
    When did you get your laptop? And do you have a OC lock?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The Asus vbios is different to the regular kind so it's hard to say if they will use such an update.

9. deteplete3

deteplete3 Newbie

Reputations:
    @hmscott : sorry for keeping you waiting, saw @ the rog forums need these pics as well.
    I didn't really try to make it look fancy or tidy, way to busy for that. At least temps are normal now. There is cooling on the controllers as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is high conductivity tape between the M.2 and the sata ssd board. The 2.5" drive fits snugly in so there isn't really a need to have it taped at all, just a small patch is enough.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    deteplete3, much nicer than the total tape coverage method :)

It's too bad the M.2 Samsung XP941 drive doesn't seem to have an accessible temperature sensor, so we don't know what the temp is on the M.2 board.

There are still optimizations to reduce contact, improve air flow, I will mention the first one that comes to mind.

Cut the high conductivity tape into strips and only put 2 strips, one on each side (stacked for height?) of the row of chips on the M.2 to support the 2.5" SSD coming into contact. If that holds the cards apart, some air flow can get in there and cool between the boards.

How are the connectors holding up? When held in place do the boards go in perpendicular, or are the boards angled slightly up/down?

joshindaphils posted another way of doing this in the ROG forums, it works with short 2.5" drive internals - pull the SSD board out from the 2.5" case and the 250GB Samsung 850 Evo will fit between the M.2 and the 2.5" socket when plugged in. Unfortunately the 512GB and 1TB boards are too long, but they can cross the M.2 just as in your photo's.

How to add a 4th drive to your G751 - 1st post, with photo's
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-to-your-G751&p=478122&viewfull=1#post478122

How to add a 4th drive to your G751 - Temps
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-to-your-G751&p=478411&viewfull=1#post478411

Thanks again deteplete3 / XenonMK - and joshindaphils !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.