Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Cloudfire, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    bigspin, did Amazon UK give a reason for the cancellation and removal of the listings? How long has it been de-listed?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. bigspin

bigspin My Kind Of Place

Reputations:
    They said they cannot give ETA and product is unavailable. They cancelled my preorder around two weeks ago. Initially they said it's temporarily unavailable and allow me to preorder.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    All the 980M systems are in really high demand at the moment, I wonder if that is causing issues.

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    ASUS is probably trying to fulfill the orders.

hmscott likes this.
  5. ZerockX

ZerockX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Glad to know someone too in the same boat

6. bluescreenofdeath

bluescreenofdeath Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, nice to know I'm not going crazy being the only one perceiving the flicker.

After a bit of web searching I finally found the cause of my issues, the potential problem with my machine, and the fact that flicker is just a way of life with today's electronic displays.

So it looks like the issue is with the inversion pattern used by the display to adjust brightness on the display. Unfortunately for some reason, my particular display reacts badly with a row inversion pattern similar to the ones used by websites like unigine.com.

On the site Inversion (pixel-walk) - Lagom LCD test I tested all my my machines at home and at work to see if I could figure out whether my g751 was having a worse time of it.

Unfortunately only my Asus seems to exhibit heavy flickering with #5 which is a row inversion pattern. My other laptops (Mac Air and Dell XPS 16) did not have any flickering with #5. They did exhibit medium to heavy flickering with other patterns though, particularly 7a/b.

Even the high end HP Dreamcolor monitors we use at work exhibited heavy flickering on either 7a or 7b. But unlike #5, I've yet to come across a website or illustration screentone that matches any of the other inversion patterns that cause heavy flickering on the other machine.

It seems that heavier than normal flickering is usually due to poorly adjusted voltage alignment on the panel leading to an uneven differential between the positive and negative voltages on the LCD.

My current solution is to set my display refresh rate to a custom setting of 74Hz.
    Going from 60Hz-> 74Hz results in moderate-low flicker on pattern #5, no flicker on #7a and unchanged light flickering on #7b. Only #5 really concerns me as only that pattern has appeared for me in normal use so far.
    An even higher refresh would be more ideal, but I'm unsure of the long term effects on the display panel. In the end I may return this machine and try my luck on another.

Aside from the flickering issues, I really like everything else about the g751 and haven't had any other problems except for the subwoofer issue the series has, and probably the USB port disconnect issue I haven't tested for yet. Oh wait, and there's that HDD glued screw issue I'm going to have to deal with when installing my own SSD. Hmmm...

So I can't tell if my machine's display voltage is just poorly calibrated or my eyes are too sensitive to flicker (almost reminds me of the crappy 60Hz CRT days of eye fatique and flicker). I'll see if anyone on ROG experiences the same with their g751s. It's going to really suck if certain patterns in photoshop or lightroom end up affected by the flickering.

Interestingly my Dell XPS16's awesome flicker free display (AU Optronics B156HW01) is the same brand as your G750.

I'm getting eye fatique even as I type this.. perhaps it's time for this particular laptop to go back to the shop.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    bluescreenofdeath, you found the right test site, I use that one as well. The flicker you are describing at 74hz is about the same as on the Chi Mei display used on many of the G-series notebooks - even before the G750.

The flicker continues on the Chi Mei right up to just before 85hz, that seems to be a solid refresh for the Chi Mei, perhaps it will be for the LG in your G751 :)

Several people have now tried 100hz, and it is running well for them. I would think to continue trying to raise the refresh until there isn't a quiver in the 7b image, or the others, and then please let us know what is the lowest high refresh needed for this new display.

I am now running the AUO at 85hz, and it is stable. Out of the box 11/2013 it would only do 70hz. At 60hz 7b "shimmers", but at 70hz and above it is solid.

The AUO fault is that it is too bright indoors at 100%, I run it around 50-70% depending on ambient lighting.

How about the brightness of the LG IPS display in the G751? That might be part of the eye strain you are feeling. I know that at 100% the AUO is dazzling to the eye, and really reduced eyestrain for me by reducing the brightness down to 75%, and then finally down into the 60% range as my eyes became accustom.

Also good to check for is if the display flickers or whines as you drop the brightness down - some makes/models have this "feature" - limiting the practical control range. I haven't seen this on an ROG laptop yet.

I don't think this LG display flicker is unique to your laptop. Hopefully other G751 IPS displays will go to this website and look for the flicker to confirm one way or the other.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. bluescreenofdeath

bluescreenofdeath Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the details! I feel a lot better about my laptop now, but still just a tad annoyed when I compare it to my Dell's display. My older Dell XPS had an even better screen.. ah the trade offs.

I'm suspecting the brightness as well, so I'll have to play around with it. Running the Clear Type optimizer in Windows helped quite a bit with text I think. Fortunately no whining or flickering bonus on this model.

Will keep testing different refresh rates then!

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    bluescreenofdeath, I was just coming back to remind you to re-run the Cleartype setup after changing the refresh / brightness. :)

I am pleased to find my AUO B173HW02 V1 display is now running fine at 85hz, from a max of 70hz out of the box. The image is visibly smoother. It's a nice surprise that the refresh headroom increases over time. Something to remember to try for your own display down the road. I also reduced the brightness yet again.

I see your thread in the G751 section of the ROG.asus.com website, I hope you get some responses from other G751 owners. And, I look forward to seeing the results of the increasing refresh on the flicker.

You all will work out all the kinks in the G751 in no time :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  10. Zaza164

Zaza164 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.