Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Cloudfire, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Update: Everyone please note that cykelman's hwinfo results are from monitoring for 13 hours 31 minutes, and we don't know what caused the temperature to peak on 1 core at 91c... it might have been outside Skyrim - cykelman only played for 3-4 hours.

cykelman, now you can turn on hwinfo logging, the icon on the bottom row with the green plus sign. Then next time you game with logging on you can look at the csv file afterwards and see how long the peak temps were reached.

Right now you only know that at one point in 3-4 hours the temp got to 91c on 1 core, it might have been a brief peak or it might have been a long sustained peak, right now you don't know.

Also, the most important lines on that list aren't shown, Thermal Throttling. I doubt it said anything but No, but if you have a Yes then you have an issue - logging that would let you know if the CPU repeatedly went into Thermal Throttling, or if it was only a single time.

Are you playing in an area where the laptop can breath freely? Air can freely get into the vents underneath, and exhaust into free space where the heat can dissipate instead of coming back under the laptop to get sucked up still warm into the cooling system?

GPU temps are very cool - indicating the games could be more CPU intensive than most, which would skew the CPU temps up. Skyrim can do that.

Just How CPU-Melting Is Skyrim Played At MAX Settings? | Kotaku Australia

"Scaling and Performance
    Skyrim is said to be a heavily CPU-dependent game and, as you are about to discover, this is true. We hear the game offloads shadow rendering to the CPU and as a result, ultra quality shadows really hammer the processor.

The game appears to only be optimised for quad-core processors, as just four threads of the Core i7-2600K were active when playing. However, of those four threads, only one reached between 90–100 per cent while the other three worked at around 30–50 per cent. This means a decent dual-core processor should have no trouble playing Skyrim."

So, as in your temp results, 1 core can get hot. You could try reducing the shadow quality to reduce the CPU load, and the temperature - lots of articles and notions about what is CPU/GPU intensive in Skyrim

All that for this:

Those temps don't look bad. :)

Update: Please see follow on post suggesting using a benchmark/stress test to get a repeatable test that can be used to see the effect of tuning changes on the results, and so you have numbers that can be compared to other user results on the same and different laptops.

2. ZerockX

ZerockX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't look bad? I thought with that giant vents you should be well below 90 with ALL kind of games. If not then what is the different between a slim GS70 and this?

3. SoulMisaki

SoulMisaki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Odd, when I play Metro Last Light REDUX @ Very High settings, I max out at 71C.

4. Demike

Demike Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's been a sad time to me seeing all the good comments about this laptop and discussions in what game each one of you would like to play while my g751 sits on the asus repair facility for 3 weeks now and counting. I only had it for 5 days. If I knew it would take that long I probably wouldn't send it. Everything was performing great except for some cosmetic issues that I'm sure now I could live with :(. Oh well, I will keep you guys posted of my situation.

5. pato

pato Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The difference is the noise of the fans ;) The Asus should still be much quieter.

6. ZerockX

ZerockX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

No man, not just that. It should be much cooler also. 91c on Skyrim is something wrong.

7. pato

pato Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's still below the throttling temperature, so actually that is still ok. How was your ambient temperature?

8. cykelman

cykelman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    About 23-24 degrees. Did a relatively short log of 45 min of skyrim, this time the cpu peaked at 86c: skyrimlog.CSV - Speedy Share - upload your files here

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    cykelman, thanks for doing that. I updated my first response after I noted that your hwinfo monitoring was for 13 hours and 31 minutes, and your game run was for only 3-4 hours of that time, so we really didn't know if 91c was a peak reading for the game, or something else run during the hwinfo monitoring.

Reading the new csv file, which btw had no comma's (how did you do that?), shows an average temperature of 71.35c and scrolling through the whole CPU Max temperatures, the peak of 86c was reached 1 time, with a couple of 85's, and the rest of the peaks were in the 70-80c range with few break outs into low 80's.

View attachment skyrimlog-fixed.zip

The takeaway from this is you need to look at all the samples to see the temperature range, not just the rare peak temp.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU/GPU temps :)

10. hmscott

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.