Asus G73SW DC Jack Repair Tutorial

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by C4RN1, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks Meaker, so I measure from a the ground/positive pins on the dc jack to where on the pcb? Sorry, I do the basics but electronics isn't my strong point. I'm ok with a multimeter with a little guidance. Thanks!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    With ALL power removed from everything go from the live pin around the pcb and find a 0 resistance point.

3. Bascotie

Reputations:
    Thanks Meaker.

Once last question. I usually remove all power, including the CMOS battery, but I wanted to know your opinion on this. Is it necessary to remote the CMOS battery when doing this type of work?

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    For measuring the DC jack area with a high resistance multi meter no, just be careful.

5. Bascotie

Reputations:

I mean for soldering the dc jack in, thanks

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You should still be safe so long as you avoid any contacts around the battery but I would take it out to be safe.

7. Bascotie

Reputations:
    thanks! :)

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Not a problem, just take your time and have all the equipment you will need ready.

9. smellon

smellon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I finally ordered all the replacement parts for a G53SW and I'm going to try doing this myself.

I finally got my multimeter in yesterday but when I try to connect the replacement DC Jack to the AC adapter, I think the adapter is shorting because my power brick green LED shuts off and I can't take any measurements. Otherwise the power brick works fine. How can I test the replacement jack to make sure it's not a dud before I go through all these steps?

Also, I ordered a 30W iron... is that too low? I don't mind being patient, but hotter might be safer, right?

10. jimbob83

jimbob83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The new jack is not yet installed, correct? Disconnect the AC adapter from the jack and try measuring the resistance between the jack terminals. There should be infinite resistance, if not the jack is shorted. I would be surprised if your new jack is actually shorted because it is a very simple device, but I guess anything can happen -- maybe there's a bit of conductive debris stuck in it?

The AC adapter is shutting off because it has a safety feature to prevent overloading, if it isn't otherwise defective it will probably be OK once the short is removed.

I haven't done this type of repair myself, but you could also try a vacuum desoldering pump (aka "solder sucker") to remove the broken jack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.