Asus G73SW DC Jack Repair Tutorial

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by C4RN1, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JehutyZeroshift

JehutyZeroshift Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome pro guide! +1 too :thumbsup:

2. OSUbuckeye2007

OSUbuckeye2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did it...

Getting the old plug out with a soldering iron that had an old tip and was too big to fit through any of the holes was A HUGE PAIN. Definitely a 2 man job with these tools. BTW we had to destroy the old plug like you did. HINT... make sure you leave enough of the leg to grab with pliers and pull out from the top after destroying the plug.

Putting the computer back together 3.5 times because I (1. forgot screws, 2. bent a ribbon cable tip and had to straighten it out)

Then the Ecstasy of having done something new, heartbeat finally down to normal levels, and saving lotsa $$

Thanks again for the awesome guide, couldn't have done this without it.

3. C4RN1

C4RN1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad it worked for you and saved you some money. It takes some practice to do it perfectly but as long as you don't use any force or lift any pads you won't have a problem. The hardest part is getting the solder to flow through the joint.

4. Kael390

Kael390 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any idea roughly how much this would cost for a repair shop to do?

5. Muratus

Muratus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It really depends on the area you live. I normally only charge $60 for a DC Jack repair. Most places are $100+.

6. C4RN1

C4RN1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I used to charge $95+ part, roughly $100 as well, but i only have a 1 day turn around time.

7. afdude2018

afdude2018 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the guide. Came in handy this weekend. Now have a fully functional G73SW.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just a note to those who have PCB damage, you can perhaps re-route the pin to a nearby resistor that is supposed to be electrically connected by creating a solder bridge or wiring it.

9. Bascotie

Bascotie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to resurrect this old topic but I've come across a couple of these at work and they are ALWAYS a pain to remove the solder.

In the most recent one, I replaced the jack with one like you have. If you look at OP's pics, the original jack is more yellowish, looks a little smaller, and sits inside the dc jack deeper, whereas the center pin on the new one is thicker, silver, and sticks out more.

The laptop does work, but if you 'hot' plug the power adapter into the jack, there's a tiny spark at the tip, then it goes away.

I've ordered another jack but I'm afraid it may be something motherboard related (hope not!). I've resoldered it on again, and it has the same problem. Any ideas on how to check and fix this?

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could check the PCB is good by measuring a point from the jack to the PCB and seeing if moving it around still causes a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.