Asus G73SW DC Jack Repair Tutorial

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by C4RN1, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C4RN1

C4RN1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Figured i'd help out the community and post some pictures of a g73sw i recently replaced the dc jack on.

So let's get to it, start by disassembling the laptop.
    Link here

Test your adapter first with the new dc jack and then test your old dc jack.
    [​IMG]

The new jack should show at least 19V from the back pin to the middle pin. If you can't get a reading testing the old dc jack on the laptop then the dc jack is probably the culprit. If you do get a reading then it's more than a dc jack and you should stop now.

You need to buy the correct dc jack for this laptop. I used a pj20 from fox pc parts. The pin was the same size and so was the layout but it looked more reinforced than the stock dc jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now setup your soldering station, i always crank my soldering iron to max when soldering dc jacks and ports on motherboards.

[​IMG]

Now you want to destroy the old dc jack and pull it out piece by piece. Remember to leave a little part that you can grab on to with tweezers or pliers.

[​IMG]

I kept on wiggling the pieces and they broke off nearly flush. This is more/less what yours should look like, longer parts are easier to grab on to.

[​IMG]

Now you want to add new solder to the bottom of the board. Neatness doesn't count, you're just trying to get the flux in the new solder to transfer to the old solder and help spread the heat.

[​IMG]

Now that you added new solder you're going to try to push the old pins back through the other side of the board. Heat up the solder and try to barely wiggle the pin while it's all hot. The old pins should push right through to the other side.

The bottom (marked top) should look like this

[​IMG]

The top (marked bottom) should look like this

[​IMG]

Now you want to heat up the pins on the top and pull them out, you can get them hot and wiggle them or you can grab onto them with pliers or tweezers. If you leave more of the pins then i did you'll have an easier time clearing the holes.

Once you get the pins out you want to use desoldering braid, lay it on top of the solder that is filling the hole and heat it. It should suck the solder up out of the hole. Sometimes you have to flip the board and do it on both sides. Here's what it should look like after the holes are clean.

[​IMG]

Line up the new dc jack, it should just push through the board like the old one did. Then solder opposite corners and make sure the jack looks straight and flush on the board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If your jack is mounted correctly solder the rest of the pins.

[​IMG]

Clean up any burnt flux that's sticking to the board using contact cleaner and a qtip.

[​IMG]

And that should be it, test the new jack to make sure you're getting 19v to the board and reassemble.

Here are a couple pictures comparing the old stock asus jack to the new jack i used.

Here's the old jack

[​IMG]

Here's the new jack

[​IMG]

This is part number pj20 from foxpcparts on ebay.

Hopefully the new jack is stronger.

Let me know if this tutorial helps you out.

2. evgasr2

evgasr2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice guide!
    +1

3. C4RN1

Reputations:
    Thanks, i know that people have been asking for something like this for the newer style notebooks. Though the newest ones have a mid mount dc jack. When the jack breaks on my g53sx i'll do another tutorial.

4. cdheer

cdheer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the G53 series use the same jack? I'd love to do this to my G53 as I'm tired of the dratted thing breaking.

5. C4RN1

Reputations:
  6. unfaix

unfaix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm doing the same for my g73 as well, after my sister used the laptop with it on top of pillows. The jack got pushed to awkward position so much that now, in order to charge it, I have to wrap the cable under around the screen.

Good to see someone else has had the problem.

7. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    I have a same problem in an old hp notebook. I've replaced in several other models but this specific one is a pain in the ***. it's soldered so hard that I can't easily remove it. I was looking for alternative methods to do it and came across this topic. great idea. destroy the dc jack first, then try to remove the solder leftovers. gonna try it and hope it works. anyway if it doesn't I can always try to solder a new dc jack on top of the old contacts.
    it is nice that is so hardly soldered because it will last much more time but then it's very hard to replace.

8. C4RN1

Reputations:
    Just add new solder to the old solder points and heat it up till you can see it all get molten hot. The flux in the new solder should help spread the heat to the old solder. Also make sure you don't use a low wattage iron, a 25W wouldn't be hot enough to melt the solder for usb's or a dc jack.

9. OSUbuckeye2007

OSUbuckeye2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    am I correct in assuming that the same jack is found in all G73 models without having to take my JH-BB apart?

10. C4RN1

Reputations:
    You're going to have to take it apart anyway. But i would say it's a safe bet to assume the g73 series all use the same dc jack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.