1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus G73JW-3DE Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Voodooi, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jelski

jelski Notebook Enthusiast

most problems are software related i think you can be unlucky with a monday monring built part in your pc always. I Would get a new gen ssd in your setup i run a i7 740qm and it is still superfast with ssd. btw which country are you in cant find any price yet on the g74 systems.

2. souravsunny

souravsunny Notebook Consultant

Hi guys..How u all been..have been awfully busy with work so havnt had much time to peek in here..hope u all are doing fine..

just installed the NVIDIA 275.33 drivers...and would like to report that there is an awesome increase in th 3D quality..
    As for games i got a 4fps increase on Dirt 3 and 3fps drop in Mafia II..doesnt make much of a difference..

One problem is with newer driver the 3D vision driver is bundled with it..hence u have to keep a check on keeping the 3D vision disabled with the ROG button everytime when u are not using the 3D..or else u might experience stutter in normal applications..i guess i can live that..

So far the Lappie has been awesome and has taken everything i have thrown at it without breaking a sweat..its pretty fast for my needs..which is a plenty..i dont know how much faster a laptop can get and whether u can really appreciate the difference in the real world and not on piece of paper as of now...future would be different...6 months up and i m glad that i m very happy with my purchase,..might upgrade to a 500 GB ssd later once they are available at decent price

as for G74..i dont the design on it..it looks bulkier and the rear vents are not stylish as the G73...same design with a GTX 560 M would have been better in my opinion..

3. jelski

jelski Notebook Enthusiast

hey souravsunny
    i have th enew driver installed as well and indeed the 3d is stuttering everything quite annoying if you ask me. even when watching simple pics.

i have had my ssd drive now for a month on this system and i love it too alot now so super quick. somethign was really wrong on the old drive.

anyway's the new g74 are coming in july it is amazing how quick this laptop has gotten "old" it is not even 6 months

4. souravsunny

souravsunny Notebook Consultant

yeah...i would agree its kinda annoying that everytime u go full screen for a movie or youtube videos u gotta hit the ROG button..even while playing online games but then i just rationalize that its just the press of one button...mayb ur previous stuttering experience is takin toll on u .. :p

otherwise its been great ...playing blu ray...watching movies in 3D...playing games on Full HD without trouble,,no overheating issues so far...tho i think i gotta clean the fan sometime..i havnt done it in 4 months.. :-(..everything i got from this laptop has been amazing..specially for the price..

yes ..its almost funny how fast technology is progressing...u buy a laptop to be future proof for a year or 2 and already there is a newer model out there..but i still feel ...it can give you some good service for a at least a year more if not two..before the hardware starts feeling a bit outdated..unless u are one of those likes to stay updated... :)

Just another Note ...get a can of Compressed air and Clean up up the vents...causes a drop of around at least 10 deg C flat...provided u are idling at high temp...I was...both CPU and GPU at 60 degrees...after a cleaning job CPU is down to 46 deg..on idle ..and GPU at 48 at idle and 78 deg on load thats like 30 mins of DiRT 2 ..Strongly recommend everyone to do that...u can follow the discussion in "get out the air cans" thread and the video here

http://youtu.be/KXU4lBWEb8s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.