ASUS G71G User Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by David, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arch983

arch983 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

yeah but none the less, there is still the Asus name that left the bad taste in my mouth. I have gone through a terrible experience as a customer and want nothing to do with the company. And I feel that others should be aware of this that are new to the Asus name. I understand where you come from, but this is where I come from and will not change my opinion as I have been royally you know what by this company and its terrible attitude.

2. deedeeman

deedeeman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nice review....ok so why is 3dmark06 and gpu z showing the 9800m gs as a GT?

3. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I believe both 3dmark06 and GPU-Z (newest versions) came out prior to the release of the 9800M GS card, hence the database isn't updated with that particular card.

4. deedeeman

deedeeman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yea, i though just as much

5. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bummer on the MB issue - maybe other technology changes made it not possible to make the change? I'm speculating but regardless, you're comparing apples to oranges to a certain degree.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Asus Laptop support (W3j and just received my G71G).

Curious if I should be worried, but I got the unit delivered by UPS last night and after installing the battery and plugging in the unit, it started booting (lid was closed even). It said Windows had not started correctly blah blah and failed to boot (then there was a weird clicking noise).

I removed the battery and unplugged the power (and tried to not freak out) and when I tried again it booted.

It's making a chirping sounds fairly regularly and the defrag I did took hours to finish - not sure if I'm looking too far into things but I figured I would ask for some insight on things.

I'm going to play around w/ it more tonight.

6. David

Reputations:
    Some one on the Asus forum reported that if you uninstalled the Realtek driver, it will solve the clicking issue. I don't experience that issue, so I can't say for sure. However, if that doesn't solve your clicking/chirping issue, I'd recommend reinstalling the realtek audio drivers and if that still doesn't do it, performing a clean install with the recovery disk/partition.

7. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Really appreciate it - so just uninstall the driver without reinstalling first? I'll look into it but wondering if you need that on there.

Why would my Memory WEI score only be a 5.0?

EDIT: Interesting - I reran the score and it went up to 5.9.

8. David

Reputations:
    WEI is a terrible performance benchmark and I wouldn't worry too much about those scores. The only reason why I put it up on my review is because there are still many non-technical viewers on the forum and they want to see how this system compares with others they see in stores. :eek:

9. Isend2C

Isend2C Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very nice laptop, and grand review. I thought it was odd to have so many 3-minute-plus videos of just you gaming on it.

10. David

Reputations:
    Those videos are with fraps and help illustrate gaming performance :) I've had a few requests prior to making this review, hence the videos :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.