Asus G71G Owners

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by jbbnet, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SauerKraut

SauerKraut Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had to completely disable the bloody language bar. In game when moving around, the keybord layout would be changed through the hotkeys being toggeled through the course of my playing. Then when holding any key for more than a second, the entire game would freeze until I let go of the key. Then when I would try to type in game, it would be in friggin chineese. I have no idea why they set these as hotkeys(ctrl shift as one), because some of them get toggled during the course of normal playing.
    I disabled the language bar and deleted the hotkeys for changing the keyboard layout, and everything seems fine now.

Went: Control panel-regional/language settings-Keyboards/languages-advanced key settings, then disabled it there.

IDK if mine was just wierd like that. It only seemed to happen in TF2, so IDK, lol.

2. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the start-up fan clicking issue on my G71G-A2 - mine lasts for about 20 seconds...would be nice to be able to get rid of it...strange to me if it was a mechanical problem (fan hitting enclosure) that it would eventually go away.

3. oldcrank

oldcrank Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't understand why there is even a language bar at all--can anyone explain this? If you pick US English when first setting up the system, why--unless you are bilingual or a translator for the UN--on earth would I need a utility to switch between English and Chinese?

More to the point, how do I get rid of this frakking language bar for good?

4. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As you mentioned, the language tool bar is there for people whom require different and/or multiple languages. You can easily add/remove any language to your liking by going into your control panel -> regional and language options -> languages and make your selection there in the text services and input languages.

5. heartspeace

heartspeace Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my g71g from xoticpc a couple days ago...

very very nice notebook except two problems:
    o scratching fan on cold boot (may fix later as described in thread)
    o popping noise from speakers every 10-60 seconds
    o DirectConsole 2.0 doesn't control lights via sound as it says it does

I can get the popping to stop by uninstalling the realtek drivers and installing vistas hd audio drivers. However, then the audio ports fail to work and other features such as equalizer do not work. I wrote to both asus and realtek about this and no helpful response so far. I think the issue is in the drivers... but want to know from all of you other owners, whether or not you have the audio popping... please let me know either way. If you do - you might want to open up a ticket with asus and realtek also. but PLEASE let me know so I can see if it is a small group or almost everyone. A note is I am using 64 bit vista.

I took out NIS because it is dog slow and steals too many resources. I use Kasperksy Internet Security and you can usually get it Free after rebate and it supports up to 3 computers. It has found viruses that no other program found...

I like the laptop playing WoW while connecting to a big screen tv... nice. The display works easily. I have NO problems with the LCD display that the laptop comes with.. its amazing.

The sound is a bit tinny considering it doesn't have a subwoofer - that was a my only disappointment other than the popping noise. Again, not worried about the fan - that can easily be modified.

I fear a little that the doors on the side for covering the ports might at sometime break off... they seem solid - but anything that opens can get caught and snap off in my experience.

The mouse is really nice - I use it on anything that is around and it works well - even on a bed comforter.

I miss the quad core of my desktop unit - but not that much. It is just when I am trying to do 10 things at once.

The wireless seems a little hard to set up with a tomato firmware based router... the wpa2 personal keys don't work. I don't understand that yet - I think it is tomato though because it connects fine with my 11n router from Dlink.

I wish the OLED display was more customizable....

It is fast, good screen, easy to type on, easy to control, lots of options etc. By far, with again the exception of the popping noise, etc. is the best laptop I have owned. The color is cool too - it looks much cooler in person than on pictures.

Okie dokie - let me know your thoughts and about your sound please.

Michael

6. pc_geek

pc_geek Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Check the various OLED threads - switching to LCDHype makes it infinitely customizable (with some scripts in the forums for starting off with).

7. nolem

nolem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can you upgrade the G71G GPU to 9800GTS?

8. heartspeace

heartspeace Newbie

Reputations:
    Got pictures? It might help many.

BTW- I tried the 2.14 drivers... maybe they are helping some... try them and let me know what you guys think... You can find then if you search for vista_r214.exe

9. heartspeace

heartspeace Newbie

Reputations:
    The 9800GTS is a desktop card. Did you mean something else?

10. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    If it's the 9800M GTS, then no, you can't upgrade it. In fact, you can't upgrade the GPU at all for the G71G notebook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.