Asus G703GI-X74 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by damon vorillas, May 15, 2018.

1. damon vorillas

damon vorillas Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought my ASUS ROG G703GI-XS74 from @Donald@HIDevolution.

@Phoenix I will tag you again once i get it in hopes that u will help me tune it.

Custom Built ASUS ROG G703GI-XS74 - 17.3" FHD 144Hz G-Sync w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    Limited Edition Goodies
    ROG Snapback Hat, ROG Drawstring Bag, ROG Water Bottle, ROG Notebook, ROG Pin, ROG Sticker Set
    Free Accessories
    Asus Gamepad Controller
    LCD Panel
    17.3" 144Hz IPS Level Full HD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare Wide-Viewing Angle Display w/ G-Sync technology
    Minimize LCD Backlight Bleed
    Yes, quality check and give me a panel with minimal backlight bleed.
    Display Warranty
    30 Days Zero Defective Pixel Warranty (perfect panel guarantee)
    Video Card
    Overclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 w/ 8GB GDDR5
    Processor
    Intel 8th Generation "Coffee Lake" Core i7-8750H (2.2-4.1GHz) 6 Core - 12 Thread Processor, 9MB Smart Cache
    Thermal Interface Materials
    Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE – installed by HIDevolution
    Memory
    Asus Approved Premium 32GB Dual Channel DDR4/2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
    RAID Options
    no RAID (1st drive as primary boot drive, 2nd drive as storage drive)
    M.2 SATA or PCIe x4 SSD slot 1
    Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read-2,500 MB/s Write - Installed by HIDevolution -
    M.2 SATA or PCIe x4 SSD slot 2
    None -
    M.2 PCIe x4 SSD slot 3
    None
    2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    Empty HDD bay (with caddy/adapter)
    Wireless Cards
    Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 10 Professional, 64bit, English
    Operating System Clean Install
    Yes, Clean Install of Windows 10 including 32GB Clean Install Flash Drive
    Power Adapter
    2 x 280W AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)
    Internal Battery
    Internal 8 cell battery, 71WHrs
    Warranty and Service
    Asus 360 2 Year Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
    Accidental Damage Protection
    2 Year Accidental Damage Protection
    Asus ROG Front Lid Logo Color
    Asus full RGB lighting Front Lid Logo - Standard

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Congrats man. Sure, tag me when you get it.

The tweaking session will take anywhere between 2-4 hours so make sure you have enough time on your hand.

Also, you will need a fast internet connection. I cannot work with a slow connection.

when you receive your laptop, you will be greeted by the Windows 10 Setup Wizard and you will hear Ms. Cortana speaking, when you are prompted to login to your wireless network, do not do that otherwise you will be forced to sign in with a Microsoft Account, instead, click skip on the bottom left and proceed by entering a username for your computer and so forth.

Once you're on your desktop, now you can connect to the internet. Download TeamViewer and install it from this link: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

then come to the forums and tag me and I'll then send you a private message so we can arrange a time to do the tweaking. All you will need is to run TeamViewer, it will give you a username and ID which you can then pass on to me so I can login to your laptop temporarily to do the tweaks.

these are the tweaks that I do:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Removal of nVIDIA and Intel Telemetry
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the classic Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    9- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    10- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    11- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    12- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    13- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
    14- Updating all drivers
    15- Creating a system restoration image using Macrium Reflect

[​IMG]

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you think regarding the performance difference between new generation i7 and i9? Does it worth to go for i9? Will there be any bottleneck issue with i7 along with gtx1080?

4. damon vorillas

damon vorillas Newbie

Reputations:
    I have it reserved for a may 20th release. Ordered the i7. i was afraid of the i9 because of excess heat or noise issues. but beware, the i9 and possibly the i7 come with dual power bricks. dont think there will be a bottleneck no matter which version you get tho

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. damon vorillas

damon vorillas Newbie

Reputations:
    cant wait tho. THIS THING LOOKS AMAZING!. there are no vents on the bottom which makes it perfect for my on-bed gaming to help ensure my divorce

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd have gone for the i9. If this is the same internally as the G703VI (KL model), then you'd be just fine with an undervolt (the default overclock out of the box had very excessive voltage). The cooling is pretty exceptional.

In either case, enjoy! Bit jealous of the 2 extra cores.

7. damon vorillas

damon vorillas Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks man. i was actually considering the i9. but I'm still a little concerned about the heat and fan noise vs the i7. trying to keep it to a minimum

8. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let us know how it goes. I have found that a CPU undervolt + Nvidias whisper mode (or any other frame rate capping tool) keeps mine pretty quiet. Its Winter here at the moment, and my CPU sits at 65c tops (meaning the CPU fan stays at minimim speed), and my GPU sits at 55-58c. At 58c the GPU fan becomes audible, but it spins back down and stays quiet for a while. If you turn down some settings its pretty plausible you could make it a completely silent laptop. Or you could even undervolt the GPU too, which I havent even done yet.

The biggest source of noise was the 7200rpm HDD it shipped with. After I replaced it with another SSD, I was really happy with the silence.

9. damon vorillas

damon vorillas Newbie

Reputations:
    That's great because I don't have any hdds in it. I'm aware that the 8th gen CPUs might make it a little bit hotter. But I'm sure I love this thing as it ticks all the boxes

10. damon vorillas

damon vorillas Newbie

Reputations:
    ALMOST ALL THE BOXES. just found out that not only did they add a dual power supply for the 8th gen, but they shorted us a usb port. WTF WERE THEY THINKING