Asus g53sx upgrade

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by AlakeyFruy, Dec 5, 2017.

1. AlakeyFruy

AlakeyFruy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an old laptop Asus g53sx with a 3D vision. it works very well, I take care of it and clean it every six months with the replacement of thermal paste, and in general, I like it very much. Its characteristics allow me to play in Overwatch on the medium specs, league of legends at maximum performance and in Witcher 2 on the averages, too, felt confident.

Now the question. Is it possible to upgrade it? For example, is it possible to replace the GeForce 560m, which stands in it for something newer? RAM there 2x 8 GB DDR4, this is the only thing that I`ve upgraded.
    In general, can you tell me if something can be improved and if possible, what new components would be best to use?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Looking at the motherboard of that machine I can see a MXM port so technically yes you can change the GPU to another ASUS branded GPU that the machine would have come with at top configuration and you won't run into compatibility problems that is assuming you get the strange ASUS MXM.

3. AlakeyFruy

AlakeyFruy Newbie

Reputations:
    I would be extremely grateful if you suggested a few GPUs that are exactly compatible because I'm a full noob on a technical matter.

4. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    The problem is that the highest performing compatible GPU is your current GTX560m ... Any upgrade further is an experiment that you have to do on your own risk considering the chance of failure. This is the kind of form factor you are looking for https://www.ebay.com/i/272837134558?rt=nc , ASUS always makes it hard to upgrade with their strange PCB forms. I tried to do a bit of research but it just yields questions and not answers. No one was brave enough to upgrade that machine with a similar form GPU from another ASUS machine. You can be the first though :D

AlakeyFruy likes this.
  5. AlakeyFruy

AlakeyFruy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, so I should look for a GPU with the same connectors?
    p.s. Is the GPU the only thing that could be replaced? For example, maybe a new processor will be easier to find?

6. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    if i remember correctly the MXM design on those Asus laptops are not standard and very hard to replace, much less upgrade

7. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Not just the connector, the design of the board has to be the same. The connector is standard MXM 3.0b but the board design has to match, for spacing inside the chassis and heatsink design. Also, an ASUS card will have compatible bios.

Which processor do you have atm.?

8. AlakeyFruy

AlakeyFruy Newbie

Reputations:
    I`m sorry, but I will be able to say you the exact specs only at evening when I would be at home, now I can only search it in Asus` site.
    Also if it would help I can try to disassemble it and post some photos of it`s "inside".
    The only thing I can be sure of is the sticker on the front of the laptop panel on which i7 inside is written.

9. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    No need to disassemble just get the exact processor model number from computer properties.

10. AlakeyFruy

AlakeyFruy Newbie

Reputations:
    IntelCore i7 2630QM