Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm sorry, but can you tell me what the advantages are to the 90 degree connector for my power plug? How much does it cost, and where would I go about finding one? I've just never heard of that before :eek:

Thanks though, I'm really looking forward to firing it up and playing some games :) Like I said, I've never had a PC that I can play *real* games on. I've got a backlog of titles that's getting *really* long of stuff I want to play - I've been mentally accumulating it for at least five years now! I went out and purchased GTA4 yesterday, for example - god, I've been wanting to play that since it came out!

2. Ulags

Ulags Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hey the power port in our laptop is very fragile and many of our nbr members have broken the power port since its placed in an awkward position in g53. So i recommend you buying the cnt-lc53 connector in bixmart.com.. It ll be really useful..
    Hey even i moved to this laptop from a 6 year old, laptop with intel m processor and 7200go graphics.. I should say this laptop is awesome :) you ll surely enjoy it..

3. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I got it today and I am utterly blown away. There are not enough superlatives possible. Going to this laptop from a 4-year-old Macbook Pro is an insane upgrade.

And now that I have it, I see exactly what you mean about the power port on the laptop. It's not only fragile, but positioned exactly where you want to use your external mouse. I see EXACTLY why I should get an upgraded connector, the last thing I want to is snap the pin off, or something.

First off, I have ordered that 90-degree connector - very good idea, only $10 after shipping for something like that which will make it much easier to use my external mouse for gaming and probably make it much less likely for me to snap the pin on the power cord sounds like a very, very sound investment.

Secondly, I have run into my first actual issue! For some reason, after I was messing around with some of the display settings on the nvidia control panel, two of the three special little buttons above the keyboard on my G53SW stopped working. I assume the same three buttons are on the G53JW models, as well.

Basically, the backlight-toggle button still works fine - thankfully, since it's the most important one, it seems. But the other two, one of which allows me to cycle through the power saver options (high performance mode, batter saver mode, etc) and the other of which lets me switch between color modes (normal mode, theater mode, vivid mode, etc) no longer seem to do anything at all. Anybody have this happen to them? Or know why it would happen? Should I just call tech support?

Also, I found in the control panel at least how to switch between the power saver options. Anybody know where else you can switch between the color modes, other than pressing that left-most button above the keyboard? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

4. Ulags

Ulags Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hey dont know the cause for your problem but you can use the asus control deck application to switch between different battery and colour modes!
    @others- guys i have one serious serious issue with this laptop. Its driving me crazy.. First, even with the high performance settings in the laptop, every game drops 5-10 fps while using battery mode.. Can anyone tell me the reason behind this?
    Second, while playing in battery mode, when it reaches low battery, the system never alerts us that the battery is low, instead it switches off (not a proper shutdown) without any warning. Then i should either charge it for ten minutes or remove the battery and put it again to switch on the laptop.. Huh! Please help guys

5. zane8000

zane8000 Newbie

Reputations:
    so i just bought a g53jw A1 and i got the one with 6gb of ram in it and i am looking for a 4gb stick to go in the empty slot and i came across ths RAM 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for ASUS G53Jw (Intel i7-720QM / i7-740QM / i7-820QM) Laptop/Notebook, CT1844373 from Crucial.com however i don't know what the sequencing on the stork ram is and i heard you don't want to miss match the sequencing i usuall upgrade all the ram at once but i usually only have had laptops with 2 slots. reccomendations on RAM are wanted thanks

6. bigspin

bigspin My Kind Of Place

Reputations:
    Just buy DDR3 1333Mhz 2GB module. You already have 3x2GB installed. Ram slot is under the KB.

7. zane8000

zane8000 Newbie

Reputations:
    i was wanting to put a 4gb stick in there to bring my total to 10gb ram but i also read in here or maybe in another forum where ppl were having issues with the computer not booting once more ram was installed. i heard this was because the latencty and the timing weren't matching up. and will either 204 or 240 pin work?

8. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to use 204 pin.

9. nil7

nil7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys i know theres a problem with the power plug and im having problems with mine, even when its plugged in it still doesnt charge, what can be done about it? If the cord has a golden thing inside it does that mean the pin broke off, well I'm going to send it in to asus, I'm in california and i seriously hope this is covered by warranty, seems like overseas guys have it covered, anyone know if it will cover me, or what i could say to the techs that would make them consider it under warranty?

10. Fragviper

Fragviper Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.