Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Official brackets won't be distributed for a few more weeks. I've heard that the G73 bracket can be modified slightly to work, but it isn't a perfect fit. I'd wait until the official ones are released and use that.

The SSD should be easy to get up and running, the only complications I've heard of are with people replacing their primary drives with a SSD. I've got an intel SSD in my system at the moment and it is super snappy, it scores 7.7 on the windows experience index.

2. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyone have a finalized number for the battery life (on various levels, but most importantly on lowest brightness with wireless OFF and moderate activity such as notetaking during lecture)?

3. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Got a user review in my sig if anyone wants to read it that's considering the G53JW purchase.

@Dookie

That would be 2h15 with wifi off and 2h05 with wifi on and two tabs.

4. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    The ASUS G53JW-A1 does not come with a bracket to mount the 2nd HDD. You would have to get that from an ASUS dealer that is authorized to do upgrades.

The ASUS G73JW-A1 brackets are virtually impossible to modify to mount correctly, and are sadly equally unavailable.

The brackets issue is a trade secret, but I can tell you that we use nothing but G53JW brackets…we do NOT modify brackets from other models.

If you are going to install your Windows OS only on your SSD you will want to remove the 750GB 7,200RPM drive, install the OS, then reinstall the 750GB 7,200RPM in the remaining bay.

5. ibraveheart

ibraveheart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some resellers claim it will work with the G73 brackets
    If we get ours with it, will that void our warranty
    cos they are not with original G53 brackets ?

Thanks

6. JustTray

JustTray Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the updates. I will probably just use the cardboard temporary solution until they come up with something more official. That or I'll just use the SSD for the time being as the primary drive. Thanks for the help.

7. bendok

bendok Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well my G53JW is on the way. :D Should get it tomorrow.

I hope to be able to put in a SSD in sometime soon for the boot drive and leaving the other one as is for storage.

Couple questions:

1. Can I put the new drive in the open bay and switch to it as the boot drive in the bios or does the boot drive always have to be in the same spot meaning I'd have to swap? I'm pretty sure that works but just double checking as I haven't seen the bios.

2. the "cardboard" solution for securing the second drive, is it just a piece of card board in between the bottom panel and the drive? I assume the goal is to just give it a tight fit so the drive doesn't move and tug on the connectors. Seems kinda ghetto but if it works it works.

8. JustTray

JustTray Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Bendok,

My computer is coming today. I'm going to do exactly what you're considering. I think I'm just going to put the SSD into the second bay and line it with cardboard so it's stationary. I saw pictures in a link in this thread or another, I forget. It should be fine as a temporary solution, especially since SSD drives are cool and quiet.

I also assume if you simply reinstall windows you should be able to repartition your drives and decide which drive windows should install to, automatically changing the boot drive instead of manually doing it via the BIOS.

If I get some time tonight I'll try to get an update with any complications I have.

9. xWaxPencilx

xWaxPencilx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh man based on what Donald said, we need to open it up, remove the 750 drive, put in the ssd, close it up, install windows, "open it up again" and install the 750 drive.

10. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you don't do it that way you risk installing the OS on the 750GB 7,200RPM drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.