Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hazuki

hazuki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, great information guys. Thanks!

LostinCanada: I checked out bestdirect.ca and it looks like they have the G53JW-A1 and XR1 in stock in Vancouver! (Free ground mail shipping to Ontario.) I'm going to email them to see if they would upgrade the RAM in the A1 to 8 GB from 6 - it seems like a lot of the U.S. sites are doing it free.

The size comparison between the 73 and 53 in the Gentech PC review video - YouTube - Asus ROG G53JW nVidia GTX460M Gaming Notebook overview - kinda made me realize that I wouldn't mind saving the extra 200 bucks to get the 53. I don't think access to components will be an issue for me. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computers (although I would like to learn one day), so I don't think I would be opening the computer up very much. But it can be done if I need to do it.

I also don't really need the Blu-ray player. And the XOTIC PC video review talks about a difference in the material on the case between the 73 and 53, but from how he described it, I don't think I'll find it an issue.

Anyway, I'll report back when I hear from bestdirect.ca. Thanks again!

2. LostInCanada

LostInCanada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great! Let us know how you make out with the upgrade :) Are you saying their model doesn't offer the Blu-Ray?

3. hazuki

Reputations:
    It looks like the G53JW-A1 build they're selling (on bestdirect) comes with a DVD Super Multi. The specs for the G53 on Asus' website say that it can come with either DVD, Blu-ray/Dvd or a Blu-ray writer. The G73 comes with a Blu-ray/DVD. Some U.S. sites I've seen allow you to adjust the components (i.e. add/remove optical drives), but bestdirect.ca doesn't seem to let you do that...

I emailed them last night but it's the weekend and I'm not hoping to hear from anyone till next week. I wouldn't want to add a Blu-ray player, but going from 6 to 8 GB of RAM would be nice!

4. LostInCanada

LostInCanada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah. When stuff cross the border you now pay HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) of 12-13% (used to be just GST - 5%). If the retailer forces you to accept a UPS shipment, prepare to get hosed on customs and brokerage fees. Example: I recently paid $300 US for a vehicle cell amplifier/antenna (small, very light box) and UPS hosed me for $86 - only $36 of that was tax - after taking forever to deliver it.

I try and support US retailers that offer USPS shipping - that is the cheapest, best, and often the fastest way to get parcels in northern Canada. USPS does not charge inflated brokerage fees.

5. antaka

antaka Newbie

Reputations:
    UPS should ask for your consent before assuming the broker role. A friend of mine did deny UPS the broker role and he was compelled to pay a trip to the nearest CRA and cleared his item duties. Taxes paper got stamped and UPS handed the item to my friend with no brokerage fees charged.

UPS rep's sometimes tell that the item's duties get cleared at the point of entry which does not align very well with Canadian UPS tales flying online.

6. hazuki

Reputations:
    Well, I heard back from bestdirect.ca (on the weekend no less!) and unfortunately they are not able to upgrade the computer before they ship it. They offered to do the upgrade if I brought the computer to their store in Vancouver, but I'm in Toronto. Oh well.

However, I think I have a change of plans. On bestdirect.ca, the G73JW-XR1 is selling for slightly less than the G53JW-A1, with almost the same components! So essentially I could get the G73JW-XR1 for less than the G53, and have an easier time upgrading the RAM (easier access to components in the G73, apparently). The hard drive in the G73JW-XR1 is 500 compared to 750 in the G53JW-A1, but that's not a big deal (or is it?).

What do you guys think?

G73JW-XR1 (bestdirect.ca)

G53JW-A1 (bestdirect.ca)

7. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that any X versions will not come with a bag or mouse, and as you noted they have less ram and hd space; they also do NOT come with a second HDD bracket so if you want to add another hdd later you will have to order one (which is a huge pain apparently).

Otherwise it's just personal choice between 15" and 17".

8. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My unit arrived yesterday - I haven't had much time with it yet but went through some software tweaks. I posted this in the g53 thread in the gaming forum but wanted to list it here for those who are interested:

My personal setup changes----

Uninstalled:
    Acrobat.com
    Adobe AIR
    ASUS - AI recovery
    -lifeframe3
    -liveupdate
    -mult
    -smartlogon
    -splendid video
    -virtualcamera
    Trend micro internet security
    G series screensaver
    Express Gate Cloud
    Control Deck

Debating: Roxio Cineplayer

Turned off:
    Disk Indexing
    System Restore
    Defragmenter (don't need this with a solid state drive)
    System Hibernation
    Sidebar Gadget Platform

Disabled in MSconfig startup:
    Sidebar
    Creative updreg
    bluetooth
    setwallpaper
    sessionloon
    cpmonitor
    wireless console3
    ATK media
    Synaptic

Removed taskbar icons:
    touchpad
    realtek audio
    bluetooth

9. citizencoyote

citizencoyote Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Preordered mine from Xotic last week, I won't get it until December but that's fine with me. November is too crazy busy to concern myself with the clean-up and tweaking that a new computer requires! I went with a custom shop mainly so I could ensure all components were in good shape and to get a second HDD installed (for the brackets if nothing else), but any direct reseller (like Abe's of Maine, B&H Photo, etc.) would be fine for stock versions. Just double-check the warranty, as some models don't qualify for ASUS's standard two year global warranty.

10. JustTray

JustTray Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought the G53JW-A1 from B&H Photo on Monday. It should be here Thursday. I'm excited. I already received my 128 Crucial SSD from newegg. I really hope it comes with a second hard drive bracket though. I've been searching online and haven't seen any word on whether or not this model comes with an extra bracket since it comes with only the 750gb HD. I guess I'll see tomorrow. If not, I'll just use some cardboard for short time.

After reading about setting up the SSD, it seems like all I should have to do is plug it in the empty slot and restart the computer, go to Bios, and reinstall windows onto the SSD with 2 drives. If anyone knows any complications with this, feel free to inform me.

Thanks,

Tray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.