Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostInCanada

LostInCanada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I already own the G73jw (see signature), and am quite happy with it. I am looking to purchase the G53jw-A1 in addition, as my portable machine - hence the reason I asked if anyone in the US or Canada (prefer Canada) actually has this unit in stock. So I can buy it!

Anybody?

2. batboygotoj

batboygotoj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I found this site that sells the G53jw-a1 for only 1430 flat, NO TAX + FREE SHIPPING + a free cheapy mouse thats like 24$ lol!

and IT'S IN STOCK too. I just ordered mine this morning and its shipped out.

But I don't know, it feels kinda weird cause everywhere is Pre-Order but this site ACTUALLY HAVE IT. SO I don't know how legit it is, I read reviews on the site and its both bad/good all together... So its hard to decide. but I'm still a little worried, I hope they don't send me some other Asus model...

But ya, you guys should check it out. This place is cheapest compared to others. The next cheapest is Xoticpc.com (no tax here either).

This spec i got stock specs 6gb, everything else stock for 1430, and at Xoticpc.com its 1450(w/ cash discout) w/ 8gb ram and everything else stock - but its on pre-order so it'll take 4-6weeks for it...

ASUS G53JW-A1 - Intel Corei7-740QM - 15.6 inch Notebook

I'll update, once I get the laptop to see if its LEGIT...

3. exorcistkiller

exorcistkiller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got mine yesterday, and I bought it from them. I'm very happy with it.

4. batboygotoj

Reputations:
    Nice!! now i can stop worrying lol... and everything is as it's description? like 1333mhz rams, etc...

5. hazuki

hazuki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

Brand new to these forums (and to laptops in general).

I've been using a Dell Inspiron 6400 for four years, given to me as a gift in university. Looking to do a major upgrade.

I've been doing some research and it looks like the G73JW has been getting great reviews. However, the G53JW is like 3-400 dollars less, and essentially the same components (if I order from XOTIC PC, I can upgrade to 8 GB RAM no charge, so the only difference that I can see is the screen size and hard drive).

I'm wondering, though, about the heating in the G53JW. I've read a lot about how the G73JH had some heating issues, which apparently the G73JW has corrected. I think I would like to go with the G53JW, but only if it's as reliable and cool as the G73JW supposedly is. Otherwise, I'd rather spend the extra money to save myself headaches down the road.

Does anyone know if the G53 is essentially identical to the G73JW save for size/hard drive space, or if there are any differences/issues/etc.?

(Some other computers I've been looking at are the Alienware M11x/M15x, the HP Envy 15/17 and the Dell XPS 15/17. The M11x is too small, the M15x seems to have somewhat outdated components compared to the G53/73 for the same price, and from what I've read the Envy and XPS have some heating issues. My goal is to find something reliable that will last a few years. Not very knowledgeable when it comes to PC maintenance...)

EDIT

I should add that like LostInCanada, I'm also shopping in Canada (Toronto)... Seems like XOTIC PC ships here and they've been getting good mentions in the G73JW Owner's Lounge. But if you guys know a better/equal place to pick up a G73/53 in Canada, I would appreciate the info! :)

6. batboygotoj

Reputations:
    I talked to one of the guys at Xoticpc, and they said the G53jw runs very cool (no heating issues, since they have the new cooling system?). For lasting several years? G53jw just came out so we don't really know, but its pretty much identical to the G73jw.

If you want to go for the G53jw-a1 try abesofmaine.com, its 1430 for the 6gb rams though and ITS AVAILABLE.

at Xoticpc its 1450 for 8gb rams and everything else stock, BUT ONLY PRE ORDER (so it'll take at least 1-2 month before you get yours). read my older post about the price comparison.

So you can always get another 4gb ram or something, since there's 4 slots on this machine. But depends on you, if you want to get it now or wait...

7. batboygotoj

Reputations:
    OH by the way, I DID TONS OF RESEARCH on a gaming laptop for myself... and the G53jw seems perfect because of the pricing/graphic cards (rank 14 on http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html), and components...

At one point I was gonna go for the G73jw but then it might be too big to carry around and stuff and its more expensive w/ the same stuff...

SO i stuck w/ the g53jw... I'm getting it 11/03 so i'll post more about it when i get it...

8. exorcistkiller

Reputations:
    oh yea... don't worry man!!

9. LostInCanada

LostInCanada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there,

The cooling in the G73jw is excellent, the G53 is essentially the same unit except they start you out with only one HDD (expandable to two and you can upgrade to SSD if you want) and apparently you have to do a lot of disassembly to add components. That doesn't bother me - plenty of info available online and these forums have been very helpful.

I did a whack of research before buying my G73jw - I was considering the HP8740w, Lenovo thinkpad701, the Asus G53jw and the Alienware M15/17x.

My last laptop was an HP, plagued with overheating issues, and I decided the new design didn't convince me it wouldn't have the same problem. Lenovo was way to expensive, Alienware is owned by Dell and I flat out refuse to ever buy anything from Dell. Ever. A month ago the Asus G53jw wasn't listed on either the Canada or US Asus sites (found it on the international site) and everybody was taking pre-orders only. The G73 kept popping up in reviews so I waffled briefly between the JH and JW and ultimately chose to go with the stock JW-A1. I love it.

I did all my comparison shopping for my 4 shortlisted models through shopbot.ca and ultimately bought my G73jw from Best Direct.ca It was cheaper to buy from them (free shipping too) than any US price I found using other online search bots. So add to that exchange, customs fees and GST - forget it!

Bottom line is, if you don't mind waiting a bit, the G53jw (both versions but I'd suggest the A-1) will be available in Canada soon enough - keep your eye on shopbot.ca That model is listed in Canadian locations as pre-order, but I bet you'll see it soon as available. If you can get it from Best Direct.ca, the service is excellent and I believe they ship from Toronto as well as Vancouver, where mine came from. I may just send them an email and ask them if they will be listing it soon.

If you do find a good place to purchase, please let me know as I would also like the G53jw (not sure which configuration yet)

10. exorcistkiller

Reputations:
    G53JW definitely doesn't have any heating issues! Runs pretty cool and the palm rest feels really cool after several hours of running (not gaming tho). I think it is identical to G73JW other than the size...

I don't know where to buy in Canada, however I know many online merchandisers in the US don't have it in stock, except Abe's of Maine where I bought mine from. They have it IN STOCK! If you don't wanna wait and you are okay with the custom fees (I have no idea how much it is, should not be too much), you can order yours from them... I recommend them because I'm very happy with my purchase!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.